string it tight?

  • ciyd01
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 22, 2003
      I've been having problems with my rain fly touching the bug net of
      the HH and getting stuff in the hammock wet. I figured I must be
      setting the hammock up wrong. So, I went to the Hennessey site and,
      sure enough, their set up instructions say to string the hammock up
      with the ridge line tight, and then re-tighten after climbing in for
      the first time. This means that, when pitched, the rainfly almost
      rests on the ridge line and, with sag from dew, will actually sag
      onto the ridge line by morning. I've been setting up my hammock per
      the Hennessey instructions.

      Then I read here where Ed recommends setting up the hammock with 30
      degrees of sag. That seems like it would get the rainfly much higher
      than the ridge line, more like the photos on the Hennessey site, and
      prevent the water situation.

      I'll be heading into a wet environment this weekend and weather is
      getting cool, so there is always lots of condensation and moisture
      about and I'd like to keep my gear dry.

      Question for you experts: what is your setup sequence? do you
      tighten the side tie outs for the fly first or slide the hooks up the
      hang line to get the right height off the ridge line first? Details,
      folks, excrutiating details, would be appreciated.

      thanks,
      ciyd
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 22, 2003
        Hi cyid

        I heard from sombody that it works better to stretch the side
        tieouts tight first but I don't think it makes a big differance.
        However I too first set up my HH as tight as possible. Just about a
        week ago after the 30 degree discussion I spent a night in my HH
        with it not so tight but not near 30 degrees either, maybe 10
        degrees, basiacally just snug but not pulled tight as usual. I dont
        remember how much more clearance I got but it stands to reason I had
        more fly clearance over the ridge line. On reason I didnt notice
        was I pulled the front half of the fly over the foot half and left
        it that way all night. Also sometimes the slider knot (prussik)
        will slip a little leaving the fly not as tight as it should be.
        Ideally it would be nice to have someone pull it tight after you
        were laying down but that is usually impossible, at least for the
        last one to hit the sack.

        Coy Boy

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 22, 2003
          Ciyd,

          The hanging techniques of the Hennessy Hammock differs from the Speer
          Hammock. The Hennessy has a 'second', or integral ridgeline that
          sets the actual hammock sag to a predetermined amount regardless of
          how tight you hang the hammock. The Speer does not and its hammock
          sag is determined by how tight you hang the hammock.

          Your issue is how to hang the rain fly on your Hennessy so that it
          stays off your hammock body. It is a little tricky with the rain fly
          attached to the hammock ridgeline. When I used my HH I ran into the
          same problem that you mentioned and noticed the same thing that
          Dennis mentioned; starting with a tight pitch on the HH aggrevates
          the loose fly syndrome and sometimes causes the fly to end up on the
          hammock body. I found two things that helped. (1) Tie the HH up
          higher with not so tight an initial pitch so that the hammock/fly
          doesn't settle as much when you load it with your weight. (2) Tie
          the foot end of the rain fly to the support tree instead of the
          ridgeline. Of course if you get the fly too far from the hammock
          body you will compromise your coverage with wind blown rain.

          Like Coy mentioned, I have seen others mention 'pre-loading' the HH
          by pulling the sides of the fly very tight, but I was always a little
          afraid of over stressing the fly attachments. I have also seen folks
          mention re-tightening the fly after you get in/out of the hammock
          once. Of course you don't have to get it the hammock. You can fold
          it over, set on it like a chair and get a feel for the taughtness of
          the fly.

          Also worth mention is that Shane and Sgt. Rock have lots of HH
          related info on their web sites.
          (http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hhvid0
          2.htm and http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock.html)

          Hope this helps,
          Youngblood

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
          > I've been having problems with my rain fly touching the bug net of
          > the HH and getting stuff in the hammock wet. I figured I must be
          > setting the hammock up wrong. So, I went to the Hennessey site
          and,
          > sure enough, their set up instructions say to string the hammock up
          > with the ridge line tight, and then re-tighten after climbing in
          for
          > the first time. This means that, when pitched, the rainfly almost
          > rests on the ridge line and, with sag from dew, will actually sag
          > onto the ridge line by morning. I've been setting up my hammock
          per
          > the Hennessey instructions.
          >
          > Then I read here where Ed recommends setting up the hammock with 30
          > degrees of sag. That seems like it would get the rainfly much
          higher
          > than the ridge line, more like the photos on the Hennessey site,
          and
          > prevent the water situation.
          >
          > I'll be heading into a wet environment this weekend and weather is
          > getting cool, so there is always lots of condensation and moisture
          > about and I'd like to keep my gear dry.
          >
          > Question for you experts: what is your setup sequence? do you
          > tighten the side tie outs for the fly first or slide the hooks up
          the
          > hang line to get the right height off the ridge line first?
          Details,
          > folks, excrutiating details, would be appreciated.
          >
          > thanks,
          > ciyd
        • Bill Fornshell
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 22, 2003
            Hi, There was a time that my Hammock, bug netting and
            rain fly were connected together. This is a NO
            Brainer to me. I un-connected the rain fly from the
            Hammock/bug net. This let me hang the rain fly first
            and above where the Hammock/bug net goes on the same
            support/tree. If it was raining my rain fly keeps me
            dry while I put up the Hammock/bug net. Also if it is
            still raining when I take it all down the Hammock/bug
            net stay dry as they come down first. Then when I am
            ready to go I take the rain fly down. The rain fly
            also can now be used as a stand alone tarp if
            necessary. I have never been close to the HH so I
            have no idea if you can take the rain fly off as I
            have described. I just got a new Hammock, it is a
            Silk custom Ed Speer Hammock w/bug net also of silk. I
            am using it in the same way with a Moss Heptawing
            Tarp. I have some pictures of this setup in a photo
            album on this site if you want to see what I am
            talking about. It works great. Bill

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • rosaleen43@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 23, 2003
              Hi, Ciyd!

              You don't really need to hang your Hennessy too tightly. Snug for starts and only adjusting if the knot slips a lot works for me.  People have snapped the ridgelines trying to get the hammock too tight.

              Set up your fly with the top ends approximated, stake out the sides, then tighten the long ends by sliding those funny looking (Prussic) knots apart.  If this part is taut, the hammock will sag from your body weight and be pulled away from the fly.

              Cheers!

              Rosaleen

                From: "ciyd01" <ciyd@...>
              Subject: string it tight?

              I've been having problems with my rain fly touching the bug net of
              the HH and getting stuff in the hammock wet.  I figured I must be
              setting the hammock up wrong.

              (SNIP)
            • ciyd01
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 23, 2003
                To everyone who answered, and you know who you are, many thanks. I
                will try the suggestions.

                ciyd
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 28, 2003
                  <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                  "I have never been close to the HH so I
                  have no idea if you can take the rain fly off as I
                  have described."

                  Bill, the HH uses a diamond shaped tarp instead of a rectangular
                  shaped tarp. The diamond shape has about 1/2 the square footage (and
                  1/2 the weight) and the coverage gets a little trickier where the
                  tarp comes to sharp points at the head and foot ends. Because of
                  this it more important for the tarp to be close to the one-piece
                  hammock/netting enclosure. To mount the tarp as close as possible to
                  the hammock/netting enclosure, the HH has adjustable connections for
                  the tarp on the hammock ridgeline. That is pretty much why HH users
                  have their tarps attached to their hammocks ridgeline. This
                  arrangement has some advantages and some disadvantages when compared
                  to a rectangular shaped tarp like you are using. The technique that
                  you use for deploying your tarp in the rain probably doesn't work to
                  well for HH users. Because of its smaller tarp size (and weight) it
                  does not work as well as a stand alone shelter.

                  Youngblood
                • Bill Fornshell
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 28, 2003
                    Hi Dave, I use an Ed Speer Hammock, but also have 2
                    of the old Army Jungle Hammocks. I use a Moss Trap of
                    a Heptawing design, not rectangular. I am sending a
                    picture of the Tarp over the Jungle Hammock and 2
                    pictures of it over the Ed Speer Hammock. The
                    Heptawing is very versatile as to how you pitch it. I
                    like the idea of being able to pitch the tarp and then
                    put up the Hammock. Bill

                    http://shopping.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 28, 2003
                      Bill,

                      Just after I sent the post in, I realized that you had said that you
                      were using a Moss Heptawing tarp. When I went and looked at the
                      photos you posted I saw that your tarp is big enough so that
                      the 'smaller tarp has be closer' issue was not a big factor. Your
                      tarp probably covers as well or maybe even better than my 8x10 tarp
                      and you don't have to worry as much as the HH users about how close
                      your tarp is to your hammock. I was trying to explain why your 'no
                      brainer' technique might not be advisable for the HH folks and the
                      primary reason is because of the rain coverage when you use a smaller
                      & lighter tarp. The other reason is that since the HH is designed so
                      that the tarp can be attached as an integral part of the hammock (and
                      when it is raining there is a good chance that is will be used that
                      way) it makes it pretty easy to stow them together. It is not a real
                      big issue in my opinion, you are trading off the weight of a larger
                      tarp for more coverage. If you don't like what you have, you can use
                      a larger tarp on a HH and likewise, you can use a smaller tarp with a
                      Speer hammock. I like a larger tarp that weighs less. :-) I wish!
                      Maybe Miller Brewing Company can make one of those... or at least
                      tell us that they did.

                      Dave

                    • Bill Fornshell
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 28, 2003
                        Hi Dave, Thanks for the information about the HH. I
                        have never seen one except in pictures. I understand
                        now that the HH and tarp is more or less a one piece
                        deal. I have camped out a lot in rainy areas and it
                        was always nice to get the tarp up first. Eat, clean
                        up gear, etc or just mess around and then put up the
                        Hammock and go to sleep. The Moss Heptawing does weigh
                        more than your standard light weight tarp, in the 23oz
                        range. I am in the process of making a pattern off it
                        and will attempt a lighter version of it's shape. It
                        would be nice to cut the weight in half or maybe even
                        less. I figure about 8 sq yards of some type fabric
                        for a clone. I know very little about all the light
                        weight fabric, what do you think I should use? My Ed
                        Speer silk hammock weights 16oz. Bill

                        http://shopping.yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 28, 2003
                          Bill,

                          Now this is one question where I expect everyone to agree on, if that
                          is possible. :-) Silnylon, what is also called silcon impregnated
                          (or sometimes called silicon coated) 1.1 oz rip-stop nylon, is the
                          ultra light weight material of choice for tarps and with the embedded
                          silcone weighs between 1.3 & 1.5 oz/yd^2. Ed Speer recommends and
                          sells a finished rectangular tarp of 8'x10' for his hammocks. I
                          think he also sells a kit for do-it-yourselfers. There are lots of
                          places to buy finished tarps and/or the material, a lot of them are
                          web based businesses or backpacker outfitters. I don't expect you
                          will find this stuff at most local fabric stores or sporting good
                          stores. The bolts of fabric are between 60 & 65" wide and it is
                          customary to join pieces of silnylon using a flat-felled seam,
                          followed by a silicon coating to ensure waterproofness.

                          Dave

                        • Risk
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 28, 2003
                            Bill,

                            I have built silnylon tarps for hammock camping. Including the
                            tie-out lines, the 5x10 foot tarp weighs 10.4 oz. My 10x10 foot tarp
                            weighs 15.9 oz.

                            I have bought most of the silnylon from

                            Quest Outfitters price today $5.95 for slight seconds
                            http://www.questoutfitters.com/coated.html

                            or

                            Seattle Fabrics price today: $11.50/yd
                            http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html

                            While buying the material I also suggest buying a yard or two of 1/2
                            to 3/4 inch webbing for tie outs.

                            > Bill,
                            >
                            > Now this is one question where I expect everyone to agree on, if that
                            > is possible. :-) Silnylon, what is also called silcon impregnated
                            > (or sometimes called silicon coated) 1.1 oz rip-stop nylon, is the
                            > ultra light weight material of choice for tarps and with the embedded
                            > silcone weighs between 1.3 & 1.5 oz/yd^2. Ed Speer recommends and
                            > sells a finished rectangular tarp of 8'x10' for his hammocks. I
                            > think he also sells a kit for do-it-yourselfers. There are lots of
                            > places to buy finished tarps and/or the material, a lot of them are
                            > web based businesses or backpacker outfitters. I don't expect you
                            > will find this stuff at most local fabric stores or sporting good
                            > stores. The bolts of fabric are between 60 & 65" wide and it is
                            > customary to join pieces of silnylon using a flat-felled seam,
                            > followed by a silicon coating to ensure waterproofness.
                            >
                            > Dave

                          • Shane Steinkamp
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 28, 2003
                              > Hi Dave, Thanks for the information about the HH. I
                              > have never seen one except in pictures. I understand
                              > now that the HH and tarp is more or less a one piece
                              > deal. I have camped out a lot in rainy areas and it
                              > was always nice to get the tarp up first. Eat, clean
                              > up gear, etc or just mess around and then put up the
                              > Hammock and go to sleep.

                              That's exactly how I use my HH... With the Snakeskins, you tie the hammock
                              and rainfly up together...

                              (See
                              http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hhsnakes.htm)

                              ...so then both the hammock and the tarp are up. Then I just roll the
                              hammock up and tuck it over the ridgecord out of the way and cook under the
                              tarp. Works well for me.

                              Shane
                            • ciyd01
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 29, 2003
                                I've purchased fabric at Seattle Fabrics, where I had the luxury of
                                actually wandering around the store, but for better prices, try
                                Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics. They are really helpful and their prices
                                are a bit lower.

                                www.owfinc.com

                                Silnylon is not the easiest material to sew, so take a small scrap
                                and use that to set up your thread tension. The material is so thin
                                that you will have to play a bit to get the right tension. Also,
                                you'll have to play with presser foot pressure. I've heard some
                                folks use a piece of tissue paper to help with the material feed.
                                This is the same tissue wrap used inside those shirt boxes you get at
                                christmas. It will simply tear away when done sewing. Watch the
                                number of pins you use, every one creates a potential leak point, and
                                tape of any kind will not stick to silnylon so it is not a
                                substitute. I just use my fingers to hold it in place.

                                Oh, and buy Gutermann 100% polyester thread. You can get it when you
                                order your fabric or at the local fabric shop in town. It's a very
                                good quality thread and not too pricey. Don't use cotton or
                                cotton/poly thread as they will rot over time.

                                ciyd

                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 29, 2003
                                  Shane's website shows how to use the snakeskins, particularly how to
                                  roll the hammock material up so that you don't have a huge bulge in
                                  the middle.

                                  I have one thing to add and that is how to roll the skins over the
                                  bundle.

                                  When I first installed them, they were inside out and you sort of
                                  roll the snakeskin over the bundle similar to how you would roll a
                                  finger cot (or condom for you adults). The hennessey web site says
                                  that they should be slid up to the rope ends, not turned inside out,
                                  when setting up the hammock. I will agree with this as it keeps the
                                  inside of the snakeskin dry. BUT, you can't slide the snakeskin down
                                  over the bundle without a lot of cursing and fiddling and TIME. So,
                                  I discovered yesterday that if I turn the snakeskin inside out just
                                  before I roll the hammock up into the bundle, it will roll over the
                                  bundle very easily. Why I didn't think of this before, I'll never
                                  know.

                                  ciyd

                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > That's exactly how I use my HH... With the Snakeskins, you tie the
                                  hammock
                                  > and rainfly up together...
                                  >
                                  > (See

                                  http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hhsnake
                                  s.htm)

                                  > ...so then both the hammock and the tarp are up. Then I just roll
                                  the
                                  > hammock up and tuck it over the ridgecord out of the way and cook
                                  under the
                                  > tarp. Works well for me.
                                  >
                                  > Shane
                                • haluk
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 29, 2003
                                    Could you please let me know how can I chalk the pattern on Sili fabric. Neither markers nor soaps work
                                    haluk
                                    I've purchased fabric at Seattle Fabrics, where I had the luxury of
                                    actually wandering around the store, but for better prices, try
                                    Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics.  They are really helpful and their prices
                                    are a bit lower.

                                    www.owfinc.com

                                    Silnylon is not the easiest material to sew, so take a small scrap
                                    and use that to set up your thread tension.  The material is so thin
                                    that you will have to play a bit to get the right tension.  Also,
                                    you'll have to play with presser foot pressure.  I've heard some
                                    folks use a piece of tissue paper to help with the material feed.
                                    This is the same tissue wrap used inside those shirt boxes you get at
                                    christmas.  It will simply tear away when done sewing.  Watch the
                                    number of pins you use, every one creates a potential leak point, and
                                    tape of any kind will not stick to silnylon so it is not a
                                    substitute.  I just use my fingers to hold it in place.

                                    Oh, and buy Gutermann 100% polyester thread.  You can get it when you
                                    order your fabric or at the local fabric shop in town.  It's a very
                                    good quality thread and not too pricey.  Don't use cotton or
                                    cotton/poly thread as they will rot over time.

                                    ciyd

                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <ra1@i...> wrote:
                                    > I have bought most of the silnylon from
                                    >
                                    > Quest Outfitters  price today $5.95 for slight seconds
                                    > http://www.questoutfitters.com/coated.html
                                    >
                                    > or
                                    >
                                    > Seattle Fabrics  price today:  $11.50/yd
                                    > http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html

                                  • David Anderson
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 29, 2003
                                      At 09:08 AM 9/30/2003 +0300, you wrote:

                                      >Could you please let me know how can I chalk the pattern on Sili fabric.
                                      >Neither markers nor soaps work
                                      >haluk

                                      Sharpies work for me.

                                      --
                                      David Anderson
                                      Moderator
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 29, 2003
                                        Dry erase markers work and the marks rub right off.

                                        ciyd

                                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "haluk" <haluk.yildiz@k...>
                                        wrote:
                                        > Could you please let me know how can I chalk the pattern on Sili
                                        fabric. Neither markers nor soaps work
                                        > haluk
                                      • Mirage
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Sep 29, 2003
                                          The marker idea works except on dark colors of silnyl.

                                          I found that my kids sidewalk chalk (school chalk did NOT work, too dense) worked
                                          great. Take it outside and grind it to an sharp edge on the driveway (or other rough
                                          surface you don't mind marking up).

                                          Now use that "sharp" edge of sidewalk chalk to mark your lines or whatever on the
                                          Silnyl.

                                          I tried everything I could find, including my wifes sewing marking pencil, and this was
                                          the only thing I could find to mark the black silnyl I was working with.

                                          Hope that helps.

                                          Shane "Mirage"...

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 30, 2003
                                            Message
                                            The only thing I've found to mark on silnylon is black magic marker type pens, but the mark may not come off.  We make our tarp patterns from heavy cotton cloth and then pin that to silnylon and cut along the edges.  Have used white butcher paper also for patterns (comes in rolls like AL foil--buy at grocery store).  Now if I just had one of those $million laser cutting tables.....Ed