beware of moose

  • o123david
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2003
      Hammocks Tangle Aroused Moose in Alaska
      Associated Press, September 18

      ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Itchy to rub antlers and aroused for fall mating
      season, bull moose have been tangling with hammocks this week.

      The hammocks are winning.

      At least three moose have been caught since Sunday and another four
      have been reported snarled in hammocks or swing set chains over the
      past two weeks, said Jessy Coltrane, assistant area biologist with
      the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

      "I get a call every day almost," she said Tuesday on her way back
      from rescuing the latest victim in a mountainside area on the city's
      east side.

      "I took a hammock off a moose on Sunday. I had a call on Monday that
      I couldn't find. And now today."

      Coltrane suggested that residents take down their hammocks or tie up
      swings so that bulls aren't tempted to joust.

      "We're just asking people to help the moose out," she said.

      It happens every fall when adult males bang and rub their antlers
      against objects to remove summer velvet. With hormones starting to
      rage, the bulls also become more rambunctious as they start following
      cows and confronting other males.