Re: Hammock Camping Re: Silk Hammock - Received

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 20, 2003
      Hi, I should have given my weight, I am 6 foot tall
      and weigh 170. The place where I got the silk only had
      Habotai that came 54" wide in the 8mm, 10mm and
      15.5mm. I don't see a problem yet with the 8mm for
      myself. Ed did a really great job making the Hammock
      and did some weight test with it before he sent it to
      me. The weight of the 8mm is 1.02oz a square yard, the
      10mm would be 1.28oz a square yard, and the 15.5mm is
      1.98oz a square yard. I have some 15.5mm and it feels
      much heavier than the 8mm, but that is an
      un-scientific statement. I want to try a double
      bottom Hammock for a sleeping pad or something to make
      it warmer in the winter and I think I will stay with
      the 8mm. The 8 and 10mm silk was $4.65 a yard and the
      15.5mm was $7.50 a yard. The 3.5mm gauze for the bug
      net is 0.45oz a square yard and cost $1.75 a yard.
      The silk doesn't cost much and if what you try is to
      light and fails you will not have much money invested
      in it. You might want to email Ed about any special
      problems he might have had sewing the silk. Big hint.
      I have been in and out of mine a bunch since I got it
      and it is working great. I let it get wet today and
      brought it in to dry. I forgot to put drip cords on
      it and water ran down the tie lines.

      You are correct about the Moss tarp, but it is the
      Heptawing model which I think is larger than the
      Parawing. I have had it a long time and love the many
      ways you can set it up, it is just a little heavy at
      23oz. The Moss tarp is very well made and not a drop
      of rain gets through it. I spent 45 minutes in my
      other hammock one day while we were getting 3" of
      rain. The wind was blowing like crazy and I just
      dropped the sides a little and stayed completely dry.
      I would love to have a tarp with the same shape that
      weighted about half of what this one weights. I have
      though about making one but I think the money spent on
      the fabric would be better used to buy some other
      lighter gear. 23oz is not a lot for something that
      works so well.

      Try the silk, it is really nice. Bill

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com