Re: Breaking strength

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 17, 2003
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bronco372003" <hlusk@p...>
      wrote:
      > Ok now sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have to ask. Is
      > th 30 deg. angle set before you climb in or is it the angle your
      > body weight produces after you climb in? I know dumb question......
      > Or maybe it isn"t... :)

      Well, with my homemade Speer type hammock I set the 30 degree angle
      before I climb in. I do this by measuring the distance between
      supports/trees and then measuring off the rope/webbing length that is
      appropriate to give me a 30 degree angle (Post 2652 gives more info
      on how I do it). However, the force on the rope/webbing occurs after
      I get in... so, you compute the force on the angle after you get
      in.

      I haven't paid any attention as to how much the angle changes when I
      get in, but with my Speer type hammock at a 30 degree horizontal
      angle, I don't think it is a whole lot. Now, with my Hennessy
      Hammock it does change quite a bit if I start out with a tight pitch,
      but isn't too bad if I hang it up higher on the supports/trees and
      start out with around a 30 degree horizontal angle.

      BTW, it wasn't a dumb question... I hope this wasn't a dumb answer.
      Just out of curiousity, how much do you think the angle is changing
      when you get in your hammock?

      Youngblood