Re: Breaking strength

  • bronco372003
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 16, 2003
      Ok now sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have to ask. Is
      th 30 deg. angle set before you climb in or is it the angle your
      body weight produces after you climb in? I know dumb question......
      Or maybe it isn"t... :)
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 17, 2003
        After you climb in..

        Rick

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 17, 2003
          wrote:
          > Ok now sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have to ask. Is
          > th 30 deg. angle set before you climb in or is it the angle your
          > body weight produces after you climb in? I know dumb question......
          > Or maybe it isn"t... :)

          Well, with my homemade Speer type hammock I set the 30 degree angle
          before I climb in. I do this by measuring the distance between
          supports/trees and then measuring off the rope/webbing length that is
          appropriate to give me a 30 degree angle (Post 2652 gives more info
          on how I do it). However, the force on the rope/webbing occurs after
          I get in... so, you compute the force on the angle after you get
          in.

          I haven't paid any attention as to how much the angle changes when I
          get in, but with my Speer type hammock at a 30 degree horizontal
          angle, I don't think it is a whole lot. Now, with my Hennessy
          Hammock it does change quite a bit if I start out with a tight pitch,
          but isn't too bad if I hang it up higher on the supports/trees and
          start out with around a 30 degree horizontal angle.

          BTW, it wasn't a dumb question... I hope this wasn't a dumb answer.
          Just out of curiousity, how much do you think the angle is changing
          when you get in your hammock?

          Youngblood