Re: Insulation

  • biker135803
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 16 4:37 AM
      Steve,
      I have used the reflectix/fleece combination for a couple of
      years to date and I can tell you that when the outside air and the
      air being warmed by your body are of "great" (sorry, I can't
      quantify this) contrast, you do get condensation. However, when you
      incorporate the layer of fleece between the reflectix pad and your
      sleeping bag, the fleece effectively prevents the bag from getting
      wet. My fleece happens to be heavy weight, but not as heavy as
      Polartec. In addition, I slip a 3/8" pad of wally world foam in the
      pocket formed between the reflectix and the fleece to add extra
      insulation. This combination keeps me warm down to about the upper
      to mid 30's.
      Paul
    • Thomas Peltier
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 16 8:22 AM

        Steve,
             I have used the reflectix/fleece combination for a couple of
        years to date and I can tell you that when the outside air and the
        air being warmed by your body are of "great" (sorry, I can't
        quantify this) contrast, you do get condensation.  However, when you
        incorporate the layer of fleece between the reflectix pad and your
        sleeping bag, the fleece effectively prevents the bag from getting
        wet.  My fleece happens to be heavy weight, but not as heavy as
        Polartec.  In addition, I slip a 3/8" pad of wally world foam in the
        pocket formed between the reflectix and the fleece to add extra
        insulation.  This combination keeps me warm down to about the upper
        to mid 30's.
        Paul

        I’m just curious how much this set up ways?

      • Risk
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2003
          Just a short note:

          Last night it never got as cold as predicted. It hovered right about
          30 degrees until midnight and then rose to 34. However the wind was
          21 mph, gusting to 30 mph all night.

          I got tired of the tarp blowing in the wind, took it down, and added
          it to the insulation inside the TravelPod. That worked very well. I
          got very warm very quickly. I was nearly down to "Shane's PJs" when I
          finally got rid of enough clothing to be comfortable.

          Lesson: WHen it turns very cold it won't be raining. The tarp makes
          great insulation if it does not get compressed.

          Risk