Re: Alcohol Stove Construction?

  • beegfut
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 14, 2003
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
      <dweisens@a...> wrote:
      > The Fallingwater stove is my current favorite:
      >
      > http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/ultralight/stove.asp
      >
      > Same principal as the cat stove but lighter. And no flames
      > shooting out the sides. I use a pot stand out of hardware cloth
      > and windscreen from ovenliner.
      >
      > DebW

      I agree. Made one yesterday and tried it out. Two good squirts of
      alcohol (1-2 oz.?) from my plastic fuel bottle powered it for 10-11
      minutes of strong flame. By comparison, with roughly the same amount
      of fuel my pepsi can stove usually lasts only about half as long
      with good flame output. I have been using a pepsi can stove for 2
      years and before then, a cat stove. What most impressed me about the
      pepsi can stove was the vigorous jets of flame it produced, but I
      always wondered whether it was as fuel efficient as my old cat
      stove. Another concern about the pepsi stove was how long would it
      operate before the holes clogged, and would it give give any warning
      before it failed. (I carry Esbit tablets as backup.) IMHO Ron Moak's
      Fallingwater Stove decisively settles both issues in favor of cat
      stove types. I'm now a re-convert!

      Making the Fallingwater Stove is somewhat easier than a pepsi stove.
      The most challenging step is forming the hole in the bottom of the
      soda can. Ron suggests using a 1-1/2" hole saw at very slow speed.
      Not having one, I used a utility knife to make a circular pattern of
      small puncture cuts to form the hole and then finished the rough
      edge with abrasive.

      Beegfut
      Lurkerville, USA