Alcohol Stove Construction?

  • canoetrip_2000
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 12, 2003
      Gang,
      I know this is an old topic, which is why I am not posting it on
      Backpacking Light. Huge group, not as friendly, would probably be
      told to check archives, and I did, but that is very tedious. Its
      going to storm here this weekend, which means no kayaking. I have
      saved some pop...OK...honestly...BEER...cans and other cans and
      thought I would try making an alcohol stove this weekend. There are
      jillions of directions on the internet. Do any of you have a favorite
      to recommend? (I checked Ebay and they are either $30 or heavy.If I
      am going to spend $30 I will buy one from my friends Brawny and
      Rainmaker at Trailquest, but my political job runs out in January and
      I am watching money very carefully.) I have basic tools on hand.
      Thanks!
      Marsanne
    • Debra Weisenstein
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 12, 2003
        The Fallingwater stove is my current favorite:

        http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/ultralight/stove.asp

        Same principal as the cat stove but lighter. And no flames
        shooting out the sides. I use a pot stand out of hardware cloth
        and windscreen from ovenliner.

        DebW

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "canoetrip_2000" <firefly@e...>
        wrote:
        > Gang,
        > I know this is an old topic, which is why I am not posting it on
        > Backpacking Light. Huge group, not as friendly, would probably be
        > told to check archives, and I did, but that is very tedious. Its
        > going to storm here this weekend, which means no kayaking. I have
        > saved some pop...OK...honestly...BEER...cans and other cans and
        > thought I would try making an alcohol stove this weekend. There are
        > jillions of directions on the internet. Do any of you have a favorite
        > to recommend? (I checked Ebay and they are either $30 or heavy.If I
        > am going to spend $30 I will buy one from my friends Brawny and
        > Rainmaker at Trailquest, but my political job runs out in January and
        > I am watching money very carefully.) I have basic tools on hand.
        > Thanks!
        > Marsanne
      • uluheman
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 12, 2003
          I've used Scott Henderson's stove designs for years. Recently, while
          my son was home from college, we tried a bunch of other designs, but
          nothing worked better than Scott's design, which can be seen here:

          http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/overviewpepsiGstove.shtml

          I must admit that I did not use any sealant at all. The fit of the
          Guiness can and the Pepsi can is so perfect that none seemed
          necessary anywhere in the stove. I used a needle through a cork (with
          only about 1/4" protruding) to punch the holes, placing a nickel over
          the end and pressing with my thumb.

          Performance seemed subpar at first, but I went back and made sure
          that all the holes were punched through to the diameter of the needle
          (some had just been barely opened up), and all worked wonderfully.

          For some reason, I didn't find the Fallingwater page that Debra
          mentions; I look forward to trying it.

          Brandon in Honolulu

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
          <dweisens@a...> wrote:
          > The Fallingwater stove is my current favorite:
          >
          > http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/ultralight/stove.asp
          >
          > Same principal as the cat stove but lighter. And no flames
          > shooting out the sides. I use a pot stand out of hardware cloth
          > and windscreen from ovenliner.
          >
          > DebW
          >

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "canoetrip_2000"
          <firefly@e...>
          > wrote:
          > > Gang,
          > > I know this is an old topic, which is why I am not posting it on
          > > Backpacking Light. Huge group, not as friendly, would probably be
          > > told to check archives, and I did, but that is very tedious. Its
          > > going to storm here this weekend, which means no kayaking. I have
          > > saved some pop...OK...honestly...BEER...cans and other cans and
          > > thought I would try making an alcohol stove this weekend. There
          are
          > > jillions of directions on the internet. Do any of you have a
          favorite
          > > to recommend? (I checked Ebay and they are either $30 or heavy.If
          > > am going to spend $30 I will buy one from my friends Brawny and
          > > Rainmaker at Trailquest, but my political job runs out in January
          and
          > > I am watching money very carefully.) I have basic tools on
          hand.
          > > Thanks!
          > > Marsanne
        • Chet Clocksin
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 12, 2003
            I have been very happy with scott henderson's original pepsi can stove. just do a google search on his name and pepsi can stove to find the link. I did not use any sealant or epoxy at all, and it works perfectly.

            Chet

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 12, 2003
              Deb,
              Thanks. I was able to get the link to work, but what is hardware
              cloth? What is ovenliner? I guess I am the kind of person who needs
              directions,or, lacking step by step directions, at least clear
              descriptions, if its not too much trouble. What is that pink stuff
              in the bottom? It looks like house fiberglass insulation. I was not
              knocking BPL. I think it is a great group. I just don't have time to
              sift through a lot of posts right now (I used to) and I don't want
              to be told to "look in the archives" when the archives have about a
              zillion posts on this topic. No one has ever been rude to me there,
              but I have seen a lot of what I would call flaming going on.
              Marsanne

              > http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/ultralight/stove.asp
              >
              > Same principal as the cat stove but lighter. And no flames
              > shooting out the sides. I use a pot stand out of hardware cloth
              > and windscreen from ovenliner.

            • gregg spoering
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 13, 2003
                > Marsanne,

                I've probably made just about every stove there is, and my favorite is still the pepsi stove. I find that once you have built it right (just follow the directions and use the right sized needle for the holes- no special work required), it is efficient, light and versatile. With 2 aluminum muffin tins,
                you can throttle it back so you can simmer for a loooong time (I think this is Brawny and Rainmakers idea). This past weekend I was a bit bored, so I baked a muffin (actually Betty Crocker snack cake mix- just add water) in my Antigravity gear 3 cup pot with slightly over a half oz of alcohol
                (Bakepacker style- steam baked), then dumped in 2 cups of water and go it almost to a boil before the stove burned out for a cup of coffee and oatmeal. Granted, this took about 45 minutes, but with a half oz of alcohol the stove can boil 2 cups of water in about 4 minutes or so, running full out like a
                cat stove.
                I use a wind screen made from an oven liner (or cookie sheet, I forget), with the screen very close to the pot and up to the top lip (it wraps around my 16 oz poland spring fuel bottle). My pot stand is a hardware cloth one, made in an upper and lower section so it will fit inside the pot with
                everything else. To lighten it up, I cut out as much of the hardware cloth as possible and still maintain a bit of strength. The pot sits about an inch over the stove. I also put some fiberglass insulation between the inner and outer walls of the stove. This soaks the alcohol up into the walls where it
                seems to vaporize better to come out the holes. I also didn't need to glue or tape the sections together. The press fit was way tight enough.
                Best,
                Gregg

                > Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:12:26 -0000
                > From: "canoetrip_2000" <firefly@...>
                > Subject: Alcohol Stove Construction?
                >
                > Gang,
                > I know this is an old topic, which is why I am not posting it on
                > Backpacking Light. Huge group, not as friendly, would probably be
                > told to check archives, and I did, but that is very tedious. Its
                > going to storm here this weekend, which means no kayaking. I have
                > saved some pop...OK...honestly...BEER...cans and other cans and
                > thought I would try making an alcohol stove this weekend. There are
                > jillions of directions on the internet. Do any of you have a favorite
                > to recommend? (I checked Ebay and they are either $30 or heavy.If I
                > am going to spend $30 I will buy one from my friends Brawny and
                > Rainmaker at Trailquest, but my political job runs out in January and
                > I am watching money very carefully.) I have basic tools on hand.
                > Thanks!
                > Marsanne
                >
                > _
                > Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:09:37 -0000
                > From: "uluheman" <UluheMan@...>
                > Subject: Re: Alcohol Stove Construction?
                >
                > I've used Scott Henderson's stove designs for years. Recently, while
                > my son was home from college, we tried a bunch of other designs, but
                > nothing worked better than Scott's design, which can be seen here:
                >
                > http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/overviewpepsiGstove.shtml
                >
                > I must admit that I did not use any sealant at all. The fit of the
                > Guiness can and the Pepsi can is so perfect that none seemed
                > necessary anywhere in the stove. I used a needle through a cork (with
                > only about 1/4" protruding) to punch the holes, placing a nickel over
                > the end and pressing with my thumb.
                >
                > Performance seemed subpar at first, but I went back and made sure
                > that all the holes were punched through to the diameter of the needle
                > (some had just been barely opened up), and all worked wonderfully.
                >
                > For some reason, I didn't find the Fallingwater page that Debra
                > mentions; I look forward to trying it.
                >
                > Brandon in Honolulu

              • beegfut
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 14, 2003
                  <dweisens@a...> wrote:
                  > The Fallingwater stove is my current favorite:
                  >
                  > http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/ultralight/stove.asp
                  >
                  > Same principal as the cat stove but lighter. And no flames
                  > shooting out the sides. I use a pot stand out of hardware cloth
                  > and windscreen from ovenliner.
                  >
                  > DebW

                  I agree. Made one yesterday and tried it out. Two good squirts of
                  alcohol (1-2 oz.?) from my plastic fuel bottle powered it for 10-11
                  minutes of strong flame. By comparison, with roughly the same amount
                  of fuel my pepsi can stove usually lasts only about half as long
                  with good flame output. I have been using a pepsi can stove for 2
                  years and before then, a cat stove. What most impressed me about the
                  pepsi can stove was the vigorous jets of flame it produced, but I
                  always wondered whether it was as fuel efficient as my old cat
                  stove. Another concern about the pepsi stove was how long would it
                  operate before the holes clogged, and would it give give any warning
                  before it failed. (I carry Esbit tablets as backup.) IMHO Ron Moak's
                  Fallingwater Stove decisively settles both issues in favor of cat
                  stove types. I'm now a re-convert!

                  Making the Fallingwater Stove is somewhat easier than a pepsi stove.
                  The most challenging step is forming the hole in the bottom of the
                  soda can. Ron suggests using a 1-1/2" hole saw at very slow speed.
                  Not having one, I used a utility knife to make a circular pattern of
                  small puncture cuts to form the hole and then finished the rough
                  edge with abrasive.

                  Beegfut
                  Lurkerville, USA