FW: Storm set-up

  • Chet Clocksin
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 11, 2003
      From: Chet Clocksin [mailto:cclocksin@...]
      Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 2:21 PM
      To: 'hammockcamping@...'
      Subject: Storm set-up

      I just posted a picture of a storm set-up in the folder "chets home made
      Speer hammock" . I was messing around with various ways to pitch my tarp
      over the hammock, and came up with this, with a little help from my brother.
      I haven't actually used it in a storm, but I did get inside the hammock and
      if you want to block wind and rain from all sides, this would do it!

      I just got back from a 4 day trip in the Manistee National Forest again, and
      at least one of my brothers is now considering replacing his tarp/tent
      set-up in favor of a hammock. He was envious of the ease of set-up, comfort,
      and protection that my hammock offers. We had great weather throught the
      trip, with highs in the mid to upper 70s and lows in the mid to high 50s.
      Lots of great places to set up the hammock on bluffs overlooking the
      Manistee River. We'll be going back in a few weeks to spend a weekend up
      there in the height fall color change. If you've never been to this area I
      encourage you to check it out if you are able to. It is fantastic!

      Chet
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 11, 2003
        Chet,

        What size is your tarp and how high is its ridgeline? Have you tried
        side pullouts to get a little more 'inside room'.

        Youngblood

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chet Clocksin"
        <cclocksin@b...> wrote:

> [...]
      • Chet Clocksin
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 11, 2003
          Youngblood,
          My tarp is 9 x 11. I usually pitch it with an 11 foot ridgeline, but in this set-up I pitch it with a 9 foot long ridgeline. Its attached to the trees about 61/2 feet up, but the actual ridgeline height off the ground is more like 5 feet. I have another photo with my brother standing next to it for reference that I could post if you want to see it.
          I have considered adding lifter tabs to the sides to pull them out a little, and I think it would help, but when inside the hammock, the sidess of the tarp do not touch the hammock. In a strong wind they probably would though.