ok.. how bout this idea for a pad

  • ghman777
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2003
      What do you think if we had a light weight, tapered on both ends,
      thermarest pad that was extra wide, say 30"? at the middle?
    • Carl Iobst
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10, 2003
        Greetings ghman777:
        Thermarest pads are great. I have one & love it.
        However the thermarest is an air-filled open-cell foam
        pad. In my camping (tent & hammock) experience an
        air-flled open-cell pad isn't the best insulator to
        have next to your sleeping body. I've also found that
        extra padding isn't needed when sleeping in a hammock.
        Your idea was excellent, just perhaps not the best
        solution for a hammock. Keep brainstorming because
        together we will come up w/ a cold-weather insulation
        system for hammocks, perhaps this year.
        Cordially,
        Carl Iobst
        --- ghman777 <ghman777@...> wrote:
        > What do you think if we had a light weight, tapered
        > on both ends,
        > thermarest pad that was extra wide, say 30"? at the
        > middle?

        =====
        "Live Life Real not virtual!"
        ('Real' refers to Karl Pribram's Hollographic Pradigmn)

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10, 2003
          I doubt if Therm-a-Rest would be interested till more hammock users
          showed interest by writing the company. I have a Therm-a-Rest pad
          that is body shaped, It is about 30 inches at the shoulders. It has
          a bag the zips to it. No longer in production. It was made by Yak
          Works but the pad says Therm-a-Rest. I have used the pasd several
          times with th top that came with it. I am afraid to use it with my
          down bags as half of the zipper is still on the pad. A pad without
          the zipper would work with different bags. Look at the second
          picture down in this report to see my bag. I have thought about
          getting a coustom down top made for it. As you can see in the
          picture (second picture down in the report)the bag has very little
          loft.

          http://tinyurl.com/ivmn

          Coy Boy PS the D.A.M. form Stevenson is shaped similar and better
          for really cold weather. From the few I have heard from that have
          tried the D.A.M. it is a great idea but inflating is slow and the
          valve on one guys leaked. He patched it somhow and it works fine.
          I believe our own list founder Ed has one.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ghman777" <ghman777@y...>