Re: OT- DIY Wood Burning Backpacking Stove

  • Miguel Arboleda
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9 11:52 AM
      Hi Ray,

      There have been a number of discussions about wood burning stoves on
      the Backpacking Light discussion group, with quite a number of people
      taking stabs at making their own, Shane Steinkamp being a notable
      example.

      Personally I have been most interested in the Inverted Downdraft
      Gasifier stove. See some examples here:

      Here's an explanation:
      http://www.repp.org/discussiongroups/resources/stoves/Reed/Turbo2.htm

      http://journeytoforever.org/teststove.html (the central ventilating
      tube down the center of this one might answer your drafting problem)

      http://journeytoforever.org/at_woodfire.html

      This is the US patent office's description of the now defunct BushBuddy
      Stove:
      http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-
      Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/
      srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5,842,463.WKU.&OS=PN/5,842,463&RS=PN/
      5,842,463

      Then there's this simple contraption: The Trailstove:
      http://www.trailstove.com/

      Hope this can give you some ideas to work with.

      Miguel

      On Tuesday, September 9, 2003, at 06:01 PM,
      hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 15:28:54 -0000
      > From: "Ray Garlington" <rgarling@...>
      > Subject: off topic -- diy wood burning backpacking stove
      >
      > When hammockcamping, we all cook & eat so I'd like to call your
      > attention to Rick's (aka geoflyfisher) wood burning, backpacking
      > stove. The design is very clean and easy to build. Take a look:
      >
      > http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/forge.htm
      >

      > I was inspired by the announcement of the early version of Rick's
      > stove and started burning up stuff out on the patio, much to my
      > wife's chagrin. For the last month or so, I've been smelling of
      > smoke. My stove design has gone in a slightly different direction
      > (no fan) but is not yet ready for prime time. I'm trying for a wood-
      > gas, batch loaded stove weighing about 5 oz that is sufficient to
      > boil 1 quart and hold a simmer for about 10 minutes. My current
      > problem is if I batch load, it takes about 3 minutes before it burns
      > clean. I need a way to increase the draft temporarily during firing.
      >
      > I might give up and just use Rick's design.
      > Ray

      • ~
      miguel arboleda
      s t u d i o b u t u k i
      _______________
      sampo@...
      Laughing Knees Online Journal- http://www.butuki.com/

      eyes to see, hands to touch, legs to walk, and a mind under the open sky
    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9 1:04 PM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Miguel Arboleda <butuki@g...>
        wrote:
        > Personally I have been most interested in the Inverted Downdraft
        > Gasifier stove.

        Yes, me too. This is what I am shooting for, since it lends itself
        to a relatively-compact vertical package.

        > http://journeytoforever.org/teststove.html (the central
        ventilating
        > tube down the center of this one might answer your drafting problem)

        I had not seen this link before. It is very interesting and is in
        the same vein as what I am trying. Yesterday I had very good success
        forcing all the primary air through a relatively small central air
        hole in the burner assembly.

        > This is the US patent office's description of the now defunct
        BushBuddy Stove:

        Note to others trying to look at this patent: just go to the patent
        office site (http://patft.uspto.gov) and look up patent #5842463 It
        is very surprising that this patent was issued. The processes
        associated with wood gassification have been known far before 1998. I
        think you can find prior art for all his claims.

        > Hope this can give you some ideas to work with.

        Thanks Miguel. Very interesting stuff. I continue to make progress
        and should be able to get a fairly good example going soon.