Trip report, South Sister, OR.

  • Mirage
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 9 9:04 AM
      A co-worker, his daughter (www.hikerchick.com and I all went out
      last weekend to hike South Sister (Charity) here in Oregon.

      We got a late start on Friday and didn't hit the Devils Lake
      trailhead until 10:30pm, but there was a bright and nearly full moon
      to help us along (than and our head lamps).

      Since we didn't get to Morain lake until midnight, we had some
      trouble finding a designated camp site (alpine area). This is when
      is was particularly nice that we all were hammock campers (HH). We
      wandered around until we finally found a group of good trees right
      off a side trail and hung our hammock and went to bed by 1am.

      The temps were in the 40-50s over night with no perceptible wind. I
      was trying out my new underquilt I had made the week before, and
      just for grins I put a windshield reflector between the underquilt
      and the bottom of my hammock. It seems that where my body touched
      the reflector, I would get cold, and I assume that this was
      conductive thermal drain, and since there was no air gap the radiant
      properties were lost.

      The next day, we hiked to the summit of South Sister. Quite the
      hike and altitide gain (~4000' from the lake in about 3.3 miles).

      That night we managed to find a designated site, but the only
      suitable trees were on the windward side of the hill. The weather
      had really picked up and a storm system was starting to blow
      through, so I took the best I could get for trees, hung the hammock
      so that I was only about 6-8" off the ground when I was in it. I
      skaked out the windward, downhill, side of the fly very low and
      taught, preparing for a blustery night. I was not to be
      disappointed either. I'm not very good at judging wind speed, but
      I'll tell ya, it was blowing HARD. I did have to get up at ~2am to
      resecure the leeward lines and stake since that side of the fly was
      catching all the wind from underneith and billowing out all night.

      The wind would catch my underquilt every so often and suck away my
      warmth for a moment, but in general, w/out the reflector, the
      underquilt did it's job VERY well. Let's put it this way, I wasn't
      kept awake from cold, it was the noise and worrying about my stakes
      in the loose gravel that did that.

      My under quilt is the third generation of experiments I have been
      working on, and interestingly enough, is the simplest overall design
      so far. I'm thinking of calling it a Thnead (a la Dr. Suess). It's
      a simple rectangular design about 76"L x 41"W, is 1.1 Silnil, .4"
      Quilted Sport Primaloft, and 1.9 70D ripstop, layered together in
      that order from outside in. It has 8 grosgrain tie off loops, 4 ea.
      on the corners and 2 more ea. on the long sides. I sewed in a
      channel on the long sides into which I ran shock cord. In the
      middle of the shock cord channel I have a button hole where I can
      pull out some of the shock cord and attach a toggle so I can adjust
      the tension.

      On the ends, instead of "darting" the fabric to create the
      natural "cup" shape for the feet and head and to keep it tight to
      the sides of the hammock, I instead positioned snaps (like on your
      jackets, or kids pajammas) in a "V" shape such that when they are
      snapped together, it creates a dart, achieving the desired affect.

      I posted some picks of our hammocks at camp under the "Mirage"
      folder. When I get a chance, I'll take some picks of the underquilt
      both on and off the hammock. My intent in the design was that it is
      adaptable to both HH and Speer hammock styles, and, like the peapod,
      can be warn as a warm poncho liner, or snap the corners of one end
      together to create a triangular foot box and over quilt.

      I think my next generation will be another 6-8 inches longer and
      wider, and I'm going to try it w/out silnil on the outer shell. I'm
      a bit worried about condensation, but I used the silnil to achieve a
      wind barrier. I'll report any new discoveries when they happen.

      Shane "Mirage" (not Steinkamp ;)
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 9 10:11 AM
        Message
        Good report Shane--thanks...Ed

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9 10:31 AM
          > Shane "Mirage" (not Steinkamp ;)

          Oh, yeah... This is going to confuse me to death...

          LOL!
        • Shane
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9 10:40 AM
            Ok, I have a trip in two weeks. What kinds of stuff do ya'll want pictures
            of? I know several have asked about the Bana setup. Then there's Jerry's
            tensioning device. Any others? Any other video that might be helpful?

            Shane Steinkamp
          • Coy
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 9 9:20 PM
              How about a vidio of you streaking... oh I remember what happend to
              the last poster of such material (banned) nevermind. Seriously, I
              would like to see a good explination (with pics or vidio of using
              the HH as a chair. When I try it I find the ridge line is kinda in
              the way. Not sure if I'm doing it right.

              Coy Boy

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
              > Ok, I have a trip in two weeks. What kinds of stuff do ya'll want
              pictures
              > of? I know several have asked about the Bana setup. Then there's
              Jerry's
              > tensioning device. Any others? Any other video that might be
              helpful?

              > Shane Steinkamp
            • ciyd01
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 9 10:34 PM
                I didn't know Shane had his hair streaked! Highlights are good, but
                I don't know that I want a video of it. ;-)

                How about some pictures of different rainfly/side tie outs? Rain,
                wind, hot weather? Are there different heights you set up the
                hammock depending on weather? Your site is so good for newbies and
                this is a good topic for newbies.

                ciyd