RE: Hammock Camping LONG - Re: Oh Boy, Cold Wars II, winding up!

    Message 1 of 57 , Sep 9, 2003
      Message
      Dave, your idea of a 3-strip hammock has some potential problems to overcome.  First, sewed seams in lightweight fabrics are prone to tear out--when loaded, the sewing thread itself cuts the threads of the fabric and thus perforates the fabric which then tears.  Of course using stronger fabrics might prevent tearing, but stronger fabric means a heavier hammock.  I recommend 1.9oz/yd2 ripstop nylon for my hammocks, but for safety they should not have sewed seams under load.  The next problem is even more serious.

      Any sewed seam in the hammock fabric will greatly affect the stretch of the fabric--the sewed seams stretch much less than the remainder of the fabric.  Thus sewed seams create ridges of tighter fabric when under load and this results in uncomfortable areas--lying on or across one of these sewed seams would not be comfortable.  In addition, a hammock made from two different fabrics will exhibit different stretch in each fabric--again creating uncomfortable support.

      You might still make your 3-strip idea as an outter shell that surrounds the hammock without taking any of the load--this may work as you hoped; worth considering.  Thanks for the idea....Ed
      Message 57 of 57 , Sep 12, 2003

        Looks very nice.