PeaPod Experience

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 8, 2003
      Ed, (and others)

      Process... try to be patient as I explain my thought process over the
      last couple days.

      After I got a little cool on my backside the other night with a Target
      Pad at 50 degrees, I began weighing my options, and the stuff I am
      going to need to carry.

      I rooted around behind my bed and found a semi-mummy type bag from
      years gone by and opened about 6 inches of the stitching down in the
      foot box. Then I untied one end of the hammock, brought the hammock
      through the hole and tied it back up. I took the pad out of the
      hammock. Then I sat down in the hammock, and pulled the zipped up
      hammock up to my neck.

      I found out two things from this experiment:
      - 6 inches at the foot is too much. Al that is needed is a 2-3 inch
      diameter hole.
      - Since I felt cold air on my upper back, I realized that the bag was
      hanging open under me and I needed to pull it up and closed under me.

      Next, I took my little quilt and opened up a 3 inch slit in the foot
      box. I sewed the two edges together to make a sleeping bag without a
      zipper. And I threaded a thin shock cord drawstring through the top
      edge. I put the bag on the hammock, lay down and everything seemed
      nice and warm. I found that I could still pull the bug net over me
      inside the bag as necessary. I can regulate heat very well by
      adjusting how far up I pull the bag.

      This is very similar to Ed's PeaPod to my understanding, though I have
      never seen the PeaPod except in one picture.

      Last night I slept out with the set-up. It only got down to 55
      degrees, but it was very warm while I was in my nylon shorts and a
      light tee. I did find that it helps to have a clothes bag to close
      the space on my chest (lying on my back) or behind my head (lying on
      my side) so that the heat is not lost.

      I am leaving tomorrow after work on a 60+ mile section hike on the AT
      in VA. My experience is good enough that I am going to leave all the
      pads at home except for the new little BS pad. I will use the quilt
      as a peapod and let you know how it worked afterward.

      I will try to put a picture or two up on the photo site under
      Flyfisher in a moment. When you look at the pictures, understand that
      I still have a little work to do... I need to make the end of the bag
      so that is actually fits the end of the hammock and does not hang down.

      Risk
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 8, 2003
        Message
        Rick, This does sound very much like my PeaPod.  I too tried several old sleeping bags around the hammock before deciding to make my own, the PeaPod--it is longer and wider than normal mummy sleeping bags to accomodate the hammock.  It also velcros together rather than zips and closes at each end with draw strings.  I use a 3.5' X 6' Top Blanket to fill up the space over my body inside the hammock and PeaPod.  Again this sounds similar to your current setup.  I find it very flexible and easily modified for most every temp.  When it gets below freezing, I also wear mid- or- heavy-weight long johns, heavy socks and a balaclava--fleece clothing is also a wise choice.  Of course, I can easily add more insulation to the inside of the PeaPod when necessary.  As it stands now, I use my PeaPod for all temps below 80F--adding pads, blankets, sleeping bags, extra clothes, vapor barriers, etc as needed.  Best of luck on your AT hike...Ed

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 8, 2003
          Ed,

          I have ordered the materials for a down quilt. This may become a
          peapod variant. Have you ever done one in down? I think it will
          reduce my weight from 30 oz for the polarguard II quilt to 16 oz for
          the peapod/quilt/bag.

          I have never been as dry during a storm as I am in a hammock. Seems
          like the real disadvantage of down (getting wet) may be just the right
          reason to use down for the peapod.

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 8, 2003
            Message
            Rick, I make my PeaPods with synthetic insulation, but have yet to try down.  I haven't worked out the sewing and filling procedures for down yet, but hope to do so in the future.  I wouldn't worry about down getting wet; after all it comes from ducks in the first place, right?  It really takes a lot of water to saturate down--a minor amount is not even noticed.  As you point out, it's quite easy to stay dry in a hammock under a proper size tarp--any rain spray that might get under the tarp probably won't be enough to saturate the down.  Also remember that your body heat will drive out any minor moisture that does get into the down--as long as vapor barrier fabrics don't get in the way.  My hammocks and PeaPods are made with breathable fabrics for this very reason.  Good luck with the down quilt--I suspect it will work quite well for you.  Let us know how it goes...Ed

            I have ordered the materials for a down quilt.  This may become a
            peapod variant.  Have you ever done one in down?  I think it will
            reduce my weight from 30 oz for the polarguard II quilt to 16 oz for
            the peapod/quilt/bag.

            I have never been as dry during a storm as I am in a hammock.  Seems
            like the real disadvantage of down (getting wet) may be just the right
            reason to use down for the peapod.

            > Rick, This does sound very much like my PeaPod.  I too tried several old
            > sleeping bags around the hammock before deciding to make my own, the
            > PeaPod--it is longer and wider than normal mummy sleeping bags to
            > accomodate the hammock.  It also velcros together rather than zips and
            > closes at each end with draw strings.  I use a 3.5' X 6' Top Blanket to
            > fill up the space over my body inside the hammock and PeaPod.  Again
            > this sounds similar to your current setup.  I find it very flexible and
            > easily modified for most every temp.  When it gets below freezing, I
            > also wear mid- or- heavy-weight long johns, heavy socks and a
            > balaclava--fleece clothing is also a wise choice.  Of course, I can
            > easily add more insulation to the inside of the PeaPod when necessary.
            > As it stands now, I use my PeaPod for all temps below 80F--adding pads,
            > blankets, sleeping bags, extra clothes, vapor barriers, etc as needed.
            > Best of luck on your AT hike...Ed

          • Thomas Peltier
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 9, 2003
              Message

              What about a duel material pod.  Down on the top were you snuggle up and synthetic on the bottom were it is exposed to possible weather?