Just a thot on open cell foam

  • ghman777
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2003
      Im thinking of using 1 inch open cell foam to fill the complete
      inside of the hammock. Id cover it with a coated nylon 'pillow cover'
      for moisture resistance. Hmm.. maybe glue mylar on one side of the
      foam for its reflextive properties. I use a goose down bag that needs
      to stay dry anyway. In extra cold weather I could slip a closed cell
      foam under the open foam. I know weight and volume in packing might
      be an issue, but what do ya think? Comfort wise do you think it a
      good idea? Anyone try this?
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2003
        Hi ghman777,

        Open cell foam crushes more than closed cell foam. To end up getting
        enough insulation at the thin spots, you need to carry thicker open
        cell foam than closed cell foam. This ends up being not only more
        bulky, but also heavier. One idea that has not been looked into much
        is the use of very open cell foam that could crush a lot for packing
        and then attaching it inside something like one of the taco shells.

        Rick
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ghman777" <ghman777@y...> wrote:
        > Im thinking of using 1 inch open cell foam to fill the complete
        > inside of the hammock. Id cover it with a coated nylon 'pillow cover'
        > for moisture resistance. Hmm.. maybe glue mylar on one side of the
        > foam for its reflextive properties. I use a goose down bag that needs
        > to stay dry anyway. In extra cold weather I could slip a closed cell
        > foam under the open foam. I know weight and volume in packing might
        > be an issue, but what do ya think? Comfort wise do you think it a
        > good idea? Anyone try this?
      • ghman777
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2003
          Yea.. think you are right. I did make side pads using open cell foam.
          I covered them with nylon.I made them just long enough to cover hips
          to shoulders and then put one on each side of my thermarest. Elastic
          bands from them wrap around my thermarest to keep them in place. It
          gives a warm cushy feeling laying in the hammock. Just trying to
          perfect....

          -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <geoflyfisher@y...>