off topic -- diy wood burning backpacking stove

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 8, 2003
      When hammockcamping, we all cook & eat so I'd like to call your
      attention to Rick's (aka geoflyfisher) wood burning, backpacking
      stove. The design is very clean and easy to build. Take a look:

      http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/forge.htm

      I was inspired by the announcement of the early version of Rick's
      stove and started burning up stuff out on the patio, much to my
      wife's chagrin. For the last month or so, I've been smelling of
      smoke. My stove design has gone in a slightly different direction
      (no fan) but is not yet ready for prime time. I'm trying for a wood-
      gas, batch loaded stove weighing about 5 oz that is sufficient to
      boil 1 quart and hold a simmer for about 10 minutes. My current
      problem is if I batch load, it takes about 3 minutes before it burns
      clean. I need a way to increase the draft temporarily during firing.

      I might give up and just use Rick's design.
      Ray
    • Matthew Takeda
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 10, 2003
        Ray Garlington wrote:
        >... I'm trying for a wood-
        >gas, batch loaded stove weighing about 5 oz that is sufficient to
        >boil 1 quart and hold a simmer for about 10 minutes. My current
        >problem is if I batch load, it takes about 3 minutes before it burns
        >clean. I need a way to increase the draft temporarily during firing.
        >
        >I might give up and just use Rick's design.

        Don't give up. I'm trying to do the same thing, although I haven't set a
        target weight. I figure I need to get the design working first, then
        lighten it.

        Tom Reed's Biomass Energy Foundation just started selling their small
        gasifier "campstove" about a month ago. It uses forced convection from a
        fan powered by a single AA battery and is fairly impressive, but it weighs
        in at 30 ounces.

        Natural convection should work fine once it gets going. What are you using
        as a firestarter? I've been using a few drops of alcohol. Do you route the
        intake air to preheat it?

        For starting, you could go two ways (off the top of my head, which usually
        means there are more that I've overlooked ...): an add on chimney to
        increase draft, or a tube you blow through until it gets going.

        - Matthew Takeda
        - the JOAT
      • Ray Garlington
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 10, 2003
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Takeda <takeda@s...> >
          >>> Don't give up. I'm trying to do the same thing, although I
          haven't set a target weight. I figure I need to get the design
          working first, then lighten it.

          Thanks for the encouragement. I have two things in mind for this
          project, the small lightweight burner which I will then scale up to a
          patio burner. The larger burners are easier because the draft is so
          much stronger.

          > Tom Reed's Biomass Energy Foundation just started selling their
          small gasifier "campstove" about a month ago. It uses forced
          convection from a fan powered by a single AA battery and is fairly
          impressive, but it weighs in at 30 ounces.

          For those that haven't seen this yet, there are some pictures and
          some explanation here: http://www.woodgasllc.com

          > Natural convection should work fine once it gets going. What are
          you using as a firestarter?

          I am using a miniature candle, which is a 1/2" wick on a square of
          cardboard (about 1/2" x 1/2") with about 25 drops of parafin.

          > Do you route the intake air to preheat it?

          In my current attempts the intake air is coming in under the fire box
          and is forced through a 1.25" diameter opening in the bottom of the
          firebox, where there is a wire screen to disperse the air and allow
          the ash to drop through. This creates a very hot, but small fire
          just above the hole. I will be refining this over the next week, and
          expect to end up with separate controls for primary & secondary
          airflow. One of the design goals is that this must be easy and fun
          to start which is the current weakness.

          >an add on chimney to increase draft, or a tube you blow through
          until it gets going.

          Yes, right now I'm doing both of these. The add on chimney is the
          most satisfying; but the complexity/bulk of possibly telescoping
          tubes is weighing against this as a solution. On the other hand,
          there will be a windscreen involved, so perhaps that could be made to
          do double duty.

          Thanks for your comments Matthew!
        • Matthew Takeda
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 12, 2003
            BTW, if you haven't done so already, I would suggest you look throught the
            archives of the stoves list and the gasification list at repp.

            - Matthew Takeda
            - the JOAT
          • Ray Garlington
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 30, 2003
              I have continued messing with this and have a configuration that
              might be useful to fire enthusiasts. I will continue refining this
              design, but don't expect to uncover major improvements. As with the
              Garlington Insulator, I will put together a web page with some
              pictures and additional detail. Comments are welcome.
              Thanks,
              Ray

              ============
              The Garlington WoodGas Stove

              After about 2 months building & testing small woodstoves of various
              configurations, I stumbled on an easy to build, lightweight stove
              (3.5 - 4 oz) that will boil 1 quart of water and hold the boil for
              about 10 minutes. The stove is batch loaded, fun to use, and nearly
              smokeless when properly fired.

              On the negative side, this stove requires a starter fluid and will
              blacken your pots. Also, the current version gets hot enough at the
              end of the burn to ignite newspaper under the burner, so the stove
              should not be used on flammable surfaces.

              The design attempts to exploit the "batch-loaded, inverted down-draft
              gassifier" wood-burning technique and manages about 1/3 - 1/2 "blue
              flame" at peak output. As the gas-burning stage winds down and while
              the stove is still quite hot, the flame is mostly blue. Typically,
              the stove is burning wood gas shortly after ignition and has a
              stable yellow/blue flame within about 1 minute. After about 10
              minutes the wood gas is depleted and the stove transitions to
              charcoal burning. Charcoal burning continues for about 20 minutes
              after this transition.

              Description
              The stove comprises a steel can, fire grate, stove windscreen, pot
              stand and pot windscreen. The steel can forms the body of the burner
              and is 3" in diameter and 4 1/2" tall. Primary air holes are punched
              at the bottom edge of the can, and secondary air slits are cut about
              3" up from the bottom. A fire grate (wire screen) is fitted to the
              bottom of the can to allow even distribution of the primary air to
              the bottom of the fuel supply. The stove windscreen is made of light
              aluminum (disposable baking pan) about 3 1/2" in diameter and 4 1/2"
              tall. Slots are cut in the bottom of the stove windscreen to allow
              primary/secondary air to enter. The pot stand is fashioned by
              bending a coathanger into a clip that slips onto the rim of the steel
              can and holds the pot about 1 1/4" above the rim. The pot
              windscreen is a piece of doubled aluminum foil that goes from the
              ground to at least 1/2 way up the pot.

              Operation

              Find a supply of dry sticks about the diameter of a #2 pencil and
              smaller. Dump out the ash from the previous firing, and position the
              stove windscreen and pot stand on the stove body. Break up the
              sticks into about 1" lengths and throw them into the burner. As the
              stove fills, periodically shake/tap the stove to settle the fuel.
              When you get close to the secondary air slits, use only the smallest
              of the sticks you have collected. Shake/tap down the stove once again.

              Spray a small amount of starter fluid (charcoal starter fluid,
              kerosene, alcohol, etc.) on the top surface of the wood supply. Do
              not use too much, because you only want to ignite the top layer of
              wood. (Igniting the lower layers will result in a smokey mess.)
              Light the starter fluid. After about 1 minute you should have a good
              flame going. Postion the pot on the stand and place the pot
              windscreen around the pot.

              Caution: If the stove fails to ignite, do not spray additional
              starter fluid. There will be hot embers present from your previous
              attempt which are capable of igniting the fluid as you spray it on.
              This could result in SEVERE injury to you and others. The safe thing
              to do is unload the stove, reload it, and try again.

              Copyright 2003 Ray Garlington
              =============

              Tests:

              Test 9/29/2003
              Air Temp: 55F Starting water temp: 71F

              Time Comments
              0 Light fire
              1 min Water on Stove
              5 min Water temp 130F
              10 min Boiling
              20 min Boiling
              25 min 198F
              30 186F Charcoal is generating little heat....
            • Ray Garlington
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 1, 2003
                <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                > I will put together a web page with some
                > pictures and additional detail. Comments are welcome.

                see: http://raygarlington.50mb.org/WoodGasStove/WoodGasStove.htm
              • Coy
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 1, 2003
                  Hi Ray

                  Thanks for sharing.

                  I was trying to imagin where the fire grate (screen) goes. I assume
                  just above the bottom primary air inlets but a quote from
                  the "description section says "A fire grate (wire screen) is fitted
                  to the bottom of the can to allow even distribution of the primary
                  air to the bottom of the fuel supply." It does go up from the
                  bottom about an inch, right? Also how do you attach the grate?

                  I am impressed that it will burn so long on one 2 oz load of fuel.
                  I was expecting it to need reloaded like i hear the Zip and other
                  similar stoves need. I also like that it dosent need a battery.
                  I'm guessing the liquid fuel pre starter serves a similar function
                  in getting it going good then drafting takes over.

                  What can are you using. I have a maxwell house coffe can which would
                  probably work great. I might even leave it tall and use part of the
                  can for pot supports. It is 4 inches across and 7 inches tall. I
                  would put the primary air inlets around the bottom, the grate just
                  above that, the slits for secondary air about mid way up the can and
                  cut the top down about 1 inch leaving 4 prongs about half an inch
                  wide for a pot support. I really like no fan or battery to worry
                  with.

                  Coy Boy

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 2, 2003
                    > I was trying to imagine where the fire grate (screen) goes.

                    You need about 1/8" to 1/4" of air space at the bottom of the can. I
                    just used multiple layers of folded chicken wire and pushed it down
                    to the very bottom of the can. You have enough space if you can look
                    through one of the primary air holes and see light through the
                    opposite one.

                    > I am impressed that it will burn so long on one 2 oz load of fuel.

                    Yes, it surprises me too. Also, no smoke! which is also a nice
                    surprise.

                    > I was expecting it to need reloaded like i hear the Zip and other
                    > similar stoves need.

                    If you do reload this stove as it burns down, it will smoke. It is
                    probably better to size the burner to the amount of heat you will
                    need rather than try to reload one that is too small.

                    > What can are you using?

                    I'm using a small can that vegetables came in. It is 3 inches in
                    diameter and 4 1/2 inches tall.

                    > I have a maxwell house coffee can which would
                    > probably work great.

                    This can is much bigger than the one I used. It will generate a lot
                    more heat and will require more wood. Let me know how it turns out.
                  • Shane Steinkamp
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 2, 2003
                      > > I will put together a web page with some
                      > > pictures and additional detail. Comments are welcome.
                      >
                      > see: http://raygarlington.50mb.org/WoodGasStove/WoodGasStove.htm

                      I'm WAY behind in the list, but I just thought I'd say that I am very
                      excited about this one Ray. I've thought for a long time that a simple
                      gasifying wood stove would be excellent for backpacking.

                      Can you provide an image for the screen? The construction isn't clear on
                      that point.

                      Thanks!

                      Shane Steinkamp
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
                        Yeah, I agree totally with Shane, that is some neat stuff that Ray is
                        doing with his stove. For what it is worth, I came across a great
                        reference on stove designs: "The Training Manual for Cookstoves" by
                        the Peace Corp. It has some great info about stove designs,
                        efficiencies and how they actually work. It has a well layed out
                        table of contents that allows you to go to the particular subject
                        that you are interested in. When I looked at it, I could see clearly
                        why the "real Trangia stoves" were so efficient and also why my
                        Japanese Komono grill works so well. It showed me what I had already
                        discovered: the efficiency of homemade backpacking stoves is not so
                        much in the burner design, but in the design of "all the things that
                        make up the stove"; for the popular alcohol stoves it would include
                        the bottom reflector, preheat pan, burner, stove stand, wind screen
                        and the pot-- the best stove is one in which the dimensions of all
                        these things are designed to work together. Anyway, if you are
                        interested the Peace Corp stove manual can be found at
                        http://tinyurl.com/pkju

                        Like I said, it has some great info about stoves and how they work.
                        And Ray, keep up the good work and don't fret about using alcohol to
                        start your stove-- it is good to have for other purposes anyway, like
                        as a disinfectant for your hands.

                        Youngblood

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
                        wrote:
                        > > > I will put together a web page with some
                        > > > pictures and additional detail. Comments are welcome.
                        > >
                        > > see: http://raygarlington.50mb.org/WoodGasStove/WoodGasStove.htm
                        >
                        > I'm WAY behind in the list, but I just thought I'd say that I am
                        very
                        > excited about this one Ray. I've thought for a long time that a
                        simple
                        > gasifying wood stove would be excellent for backpacking.
                        >
                        > Can you provide an image for the screen? The construction isn't
                        clear on
                        > that point.
                        >
                        > Thanks!
                        >
                        > Shane Steinkamp
                      • Ray Garlington
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
                          wrote:
                          > I'm WAY behind in the list, but I just thought I'd say that I am
                          very
                          > excited about this one Ray. I've thought for a long time that a
                          simple
                          > gasifying wood stove would be excellent for backpacking.

                          Shane,

                          Thanks for your interest. The stove is really quite convenient and
                          fun once you get the hang of it. At 4 oz, it is good for backpacking
                          where dry fuel will be available (or be collected and dried). I
                          would like to improve the bottom insulation somewhat so that it can
                          be used on flammable surfaces (like a picnic table).

                          > Can you provide an image for the screen? The construction isn't
                          clear on
                          > that point.

                          Yes, I neglected this point, but won't be able to take pictures &
                          update the page until probably monday. If you want to try it before
                          then, just get some chicken wire, rabbit wire or similar and fashion
                          a grate that will keep the wood off the bottom of the can. That way
                          air can circulate under the fuel charge. There is nothing tricky
                          going on there. In fact, there is nothing tricky going on at all,
                          except the non-intuitive idea of loading the stove and igniting the
                          top of the fuel! If you have the materials, you can make the stove
                          in about 5 minutes.

                          Ray
                        • ra1@imrisk.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
                            Ray,

                            Great reading on this little stove you have designed. The weekend promises some
                            time to try it out.

                            A few questions:

                            Have you tried lighting it with pine needles or paper as some suggest, instead
                            of the liquid?

                            Effects of wood that is not quite dry?

                            I assume the stove windscreen is causing some of the air/smoke from the
                            secondary slits to be pulled under the stove in a preheated way and to burn the
                            wood gas. Do I have this right?

                            Rick

                            Quoting Ray Garlington <rgarling@...>:

                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > I'm WAY behind in the list, but I just thought I'd say that I am
                            > very
                            > > excited about this one Ray. I've thought for a long time that a
                            > simple
                            > > gasifying wood stove would be excellent for backpacking.
                            > >

                            > Shane,
                            >
                            > Thanks for your interest. The stove is really quite convenient and
                            > fun once you get the hang of it. At 4 oz, it is good for backpacking
                            > where dry fuel will be available (or be collected and dried). I
                            > would like to improve the bottom insulation somewhat so that it can
                            > be used on flammable surfaces (like a picnic table).
                            >

                            > > Can you provide an image for the screen? The construction isn't
                            > clear on
                            > > that point.
                            >
                            > Yes, I neglected this point, but won't be able to take pictures &
                            > update the page until probably monday. If you want to try it before
                            > then, just get some chicken wire, rabbit wire or similar and fashion
                            > a grate that will keep the wood off the bottom of the can. That way
                            > air can circulate under the fuel charge. There is nothing tricky
                            > going on there. In fact, there is nothing tricky going on at all,
                            > except the non-intuitive idea of loading the stove and igniting the
                            > top of the fuel! If you have the materials, you can make the stove
                            > in about 5 minutes.
                            >
                            > Ray

                            Register a Domain and get Hosting included @ http://www.catalog.com!
                          • Ray Garlington
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
                              > Have you tried lighting it with pine needles or paper as some
                              suggest, instead
                              > of the liquid?

                              I want to try lighting with tender, but have not done so yet. I was
                              also thinking of some sort of fabric dipped in wax that could be
                              layed on top of the fuel charge.

                              > Effects of wood that is not quite dry?

                              The more wet and the more green the wood the more difficult starting
                              is (more fluid must be used). Also, when the stove transitions to
                              charcoal burning, wet/green wood tends to smoke. So far, blowing
                              down on the coals has added enough air to hasten the transition back
                              to smokelessness.

                              > I assume the stove windscreen is causing some of the air/smoke from
                              the
                              > secondary slits to be pulled under the stove in a preheated way and
                              to burn the
                              > wood gas. Do I have this right?

                              The stove windscreen acts as insulation for the comubstion chamber
                              and heats the primary/secondary air. Concerning the secondary air
                              inlets, all that happens there is that additional, slightly pre-
                              heated fresh air is drawn into the combustion chamber. If you look
                              carefully on the picture of the stove body, you will notice that the
                              bottom of the secondary-air slit has been pushed toward the center of
                              the can. This creates a small venturi that draws in more air (this
                              seems to help). On my current stove, I have cut four additional
                              secondary slits, two ridges higher & halfway in between the slits
                              shown in the picture. Don't know if they help much (or any for that
                              matter).
                            • ra1@imrisk.com
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
                                Ray wrote:

                                > I want to try lighting with tender, but have not done so yet. I was
                                > also thinking of some sort of fabric dipped in wax that could be
                                > layed on top of the fuel charge.

                                Yes, I am thinking of the little strips of cardboard soaked in candle wax that
                                "NoDrip" told me about on the AT. I have been using them for fire starters ever
                                since. They are non-volatile, can't leak, and burn very well.

                                I have also been doing some thinking about ways to decrease the weight and pack
                                footprint. I love your concept and look forward to trying out the original and
                                some mods over the weekend.

                                I did go out and look up several of the web references to the downdraft stoves.
                                You did a great job of turning those heavy items into something which can be
                                used for backpacking!

                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
                                  > I have also been doing some thinking about ways to decrease the
                                  weight and pack
                                  > footprint. I love your concept and look forward to trying out the
                                  original and
                                  > some mods over the weekend.
                                  >
                                  > I did go out and look up several of the web references to the
                                  downdraft stoves.
                                  > You did a great job of turning those heavy items into something
                                  which can be
                                  > used for backpacking!
                                  >
                                  > Rick

                                  Thanks for your comments. Have fun & let me know what you find out.
                                  Ray
                                • Risk
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003
                                    Three stoves into this project, I have learned a few things already.

                                    - the stove works
                                    - I have been able to get it to work with paraffin soaked cardboard,
                                    but not with much weight savings over the half teaspoon of lamp oil or
                                    coleman fuel it takes to get started.
                                    - One nice thing about the stove is that it can be started with just
                                    about any fuel. This is a plus for finding a source of fuel anywhere.
                                    - I tried a version with windows cut in the top 3/4 inch of the can.
                                    It is not tall enough to create enough draft. It did not work
                                    - I tried a very light version made from sheet brass and aluminum.
                                    This works pretty well and fits inside my small pot. However it is
                                    more fragile and not quite as stable. It also must be used where metal
                                    sticks can be inserted in the ground. I will post some pics of this
                                    when I have the weights available.
                                    - I replaced your bottom screen with a piece of hardware cloth. It
                                    sits on four tabs that are bent up instead of down. I cut the
                                    openings for the cuts with a dremmel drill.
                                    - I am getting boiling times a little shorter than yours. It takes
                                    about 5-6 minutes to boil 2 cups of water, and the water boils for
                                    about 8-10 minutes. It does stay hot for many more minutes, because
                                    of the charcoal heat.
                                    - I had trouble with the pot stand sticking to the pot. I came up
                                    with a lighter-weight alternative with less contact area.
                                    - I can already see that I would be willing to take this little stove
                                    hiking for a longer trial.

                                    Great work Ray!

                                    <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
                                    > > I have also been doing some thinking about ways to decrease the
                                    > weight and pack
                                    > > footprint. I love your concept and look forward to trying out the
                                    > original and
                                    > > some mods over the weekend.
                                    > >
                                    > > I did go out and look up several of the web references to the
                                    > downdraft stoves.
                                    > > You did a great job of turning those heavy items into something
                                    > which can be
                                    > > used for backpacking!
                                    > >
                                    > > Rick
                                    >

                                    > Thanks for your comments. Have fun & let me know what you find out.
                                    > Ray
                                  • efield
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003
                                      I have a couple of questions.

                                      1. Ray said in his earlier posts that the larger the diameter the can, the
                                      more heat was produced. Has anyone come up with an otimum diameter for a
                                      backpacking stove.

                                      2. Does the height of the fuel load have much affect on the total burn time?
                                      Would a taller stove
                                      give longer burn times?

                                      Great work to all who are testing these stoves.

                                      Ed Field

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003
                                        Ed,

                                        Ray will post his own reply, but I believe that he has found a pretty
                                        optimum size. This may be about as small as the stove can be and
                                        still be self sustaining. He used, and I copied, a stove made from a
                                        tin can which is 4 3/8 in (11.1 cm) tall and 2 7/8 in (7.4 cm)in
                                        diameter. This is a common can size for many vegetables in the US.

                                        From reading the literature, a taller stove does give a longer burn
                                        time. But for most backpack cooking this is a pretty good time. I
                                        did find yesterday, that if I wanted to increase the time, I could add
                                        another batch of small sticks when the stove enters the charcoal phase
                                        and it would be back to gassifying very quickly. This burn is not
                                        quite as efficient, because the heat is below the sticks and not
                                        working its way down through them.

                                        I am interested in seeing what Ray has to add to this.

                                        BTW,

                                        There is a small chance we should think about moving this discussion
                                        to another group as it has been staying off hammock camping for quite
                                        a while. How about BPL? Ray?

                                        Rick

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003
                                          > There is a small chance we should think about moving this
                                          > discussion to another group as it has been staying off hammock
                                          > camping for quite a while. How about BPL? Ray?

                                          I have a couple of things I'd like to add too, but I'd like to see us move
                                          it first. Anywhere you like... Even off list if need be.

                                          Might be a good time to create the 'woodburningbackpackingstoves' list on
                                          Yahoo...

                                          Shane
                                        • Shane Steinkamp
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 5, 2003

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Oct 6, 2003
                                              That was satorical right.

                                              I agree 1% we also need a list for where do you live. I'd rather
                                              have a few list with reliable informaation than a seperate list for
                                              ever topic under the sun.

                                              Coy Boy

                                              wrote:
                                              > > Might be a good time to create the
                                              > > 'woodburningbackpackingstoves' list on Yahoo...

                                              > Shane
                                            • Ray Garlington
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Oct 7, 2003
                                                wrote:
                                                > > Might be a good time to create the
                                                > > 'woodburningbackpackingstoves' list on Yahoo...

                                                > Shane

                                                OK. Just one last message on Hammockcamping about this stove to clean
                                                up some questions that were left unanswered here.

                                                =========
                                                From: "efield" <efield@c...>
                                                Date: Sun Oct 5, 2003 6:58 am

                                                1. Ray said in his earlier posts that the larger the diameter the
                                                can, the more heat was produced. Has anyone come up with an otimum
                                                diameter for a backpacking stove.

                                                quart of water in about 10 minutes. For a single person this is
                                                probably ok, plus (at that size) it turns out not to need any air
                                                controls and is nearly smokeless. The downside is that the smaller
                                                the stove, the more care that is required when preparing the fuel.

                                                I have been working on a 4" x ~7" size. It will take larger wood so
                                                preparation is more fun, puts out a lot of heat, but needs to
                                                be "turned down" halfway through the burn. Right now it smokes too
                                                much (black smoke).

                                                2. Does the height of the fuel load have much affect on the total
                                                burn time? Would a taller stove give longer burn times?

                                                heat at mid burn.

                                                ======================
                                                From: "Risk" <ra1@i...>
                                                Date: Sun Oct 5, 2003 8:07 am
                                                Subject: Re: off topic -- diy wood burning backpacking stove

                                                I did find yesterday, that if I wanted to increase the time, I could
                                                add another batch of small sticks when the stove enters the charcoal
                                                phase and it would be back to gassifying very quickly.

                                                added. If the smoke doesn't bother anyone, then this would be a good
                                                way to extend burn time as necessary.

                                                If you are interested in this topic, the discussion has moved to the
                                                above group. See you there!