Hammock Camping Re: Oh Boy, Cold Wars II, winding up!

  • o123david
    Message 1 of 57 , Sep 6, 2003
      Some ideas and responses. I hope they help.

      1. Cold wind DOES blow through closed cell foam. I have felt it.
      Closed cell foam is just one more form of insulation where, to the
      extent that cold air blows into it, it loses its ability to
      insulate. This is both my experience and what is predicted by
      Newton's Law of Cooling.

      In other words, closed cell foam does not protect you from more than
      a little bit of wind.

      2. Thank you for pointing out a serious mistake that I made.

      While it is true that convection results in stagnant air being less
      that a perfect insulator, it is not true that that this prevents
      stagnant air from providing any insulation. If obviously does. It is
      definitely warmer in a two layer tent. Stagnant air definitely
      provides what can be a significant amount of insulation.

      In other words, if you have a windproof material surrounding the
      hammock and hold it away from the hammock you will be warmer than if
      you let the windproof material blow up against the hammock. And if
      you connect this to a tarp above and a floor below (or just bring it
      down to the ground) you will be warmer still. This can easily be
      done using a diamond-shaped tarp, the two stakes already used to
      hold the tarp down, and a cord at each end going around the bottom
      of each tree. Condensation could be controlled with a couple of
      vents at the bottom to let in dry cool air and a couple of vents
      at the top to let out warm moist air, as Stephenson has done with his
      Warmlite tents. Since this is very similar to his tents it is clear
      that it would work. Netting protecting each vent would eliminate the
      need for add netting over the hammock. The entrance could be through
      the floor held up by velcro since any other design would probably
      result in accidents and damage to the tent. It appears that this
      would work very well with a Peapod or a thicker bag filled with down.

      I don't like this idea because it is unnecessarily heavy and
      complicated.
      But it isn't that heavy and it might be a good idea.
      I spent a lot of time while thruhiking the AT last year ('02)
      thinking up this design. It would be nice if somebody would try it.
      Maybe it is a mistake to include the hammock as one layer of a two
      layer tent and it would be best to build the tent as a two layer
      tent.
      Whatever, if you try it, please post a message on this list so I can
      hear about how it works (or doesn't work).

      3. One other idea. This would make it so you wouldn't need a separate
      barrier to block the wind.

      You could construct the hammock from three parallel pieces of
      material going lengthwise. The two outer pieces of material would be
      windproof, such as the 1.9 oz ripstop which is then silicon
      impregnated. The inner piece would be breathable, such as uncoated
      1.9 oz ripstop. It would be interesting to see if this is both
      sufficiently windproof and provides sufficient fresh air to prevent
      condensation. --David
    • Thomas Peltier
      Message 57 of 57 , Sep 12, 2003

        Looks very nice.