insulation question

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2003
      Hi all!

      I'm new to hammock camping, having used my Hennessy Ultralight
      Explorer A-symn on several trips this summer. With fall and winter
      approaching, I'm wondering if my standard insulation will work. I've
      been using a 3/8" blue foam pad cut to torso size and inserted
      INSIDE my WM down sleeping bag. This works great at keeping bag and
      pad together and has kept me comfortable even in high altitude
      backpacking. Based on your experiences, would something like this be
      suitable for colder temps too? I'm not talking dead of winter here,
      but evening temps down to the mid 30's. What do you all think?

      Michael
    • David Chinell
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2003
        Michael:

        There are so many variables that you're really going to need
        to experiment to determine your own requirements. I keep a
        "Temperature List" that I'm constantly refining in light of
        new equipment and experience. It's based on Ed's list, and
        goes in ten-degree (F) increments, listing the gear I need
        for each range.

        Personally, I don't drop down to a single layer of 3/8-inch
        foam until it's 45-55 degrees F. Lower than that, I use Ed's
        Pea Pod bag and combinations of pads.

        Don't forget accessories for your head and feed. That's
        where I lose a lot of my heat.

        Bear