Re: Hammock Camping Badlands?

  • dunangus73
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2003
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tonydemarco66"
      <tonydemarco66@y...> wrote:
      > Anybody tried hammocking in the Badlands? I've seen hammocks
      > hanging from rocks, etc. but I wonder if it's likely to find
      > anywhere in the badlands to do that.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > T.

      T,

      I've been to the Badlands in SD and they are immensely beautiful. I
      can't tell you how much I'd like to hang a hammock there and watch
      the sunset. But, you may be best served using a hammock stand, as the
      geology of the Badlands is glacial sediment. I doubt you could find
      rock that wouldn't crumble. Someone on this list spoke about a bamboo
      hammock stand that may work nicely. If you go, I'd recommend the
      Pioneer trail to a nice little secluded butte that you can camp on as
      long as you are out of sight. At least that was the regulation back
      in 1997. Beware the Bison in the lower campground and also it get
      mighty cold up there on the high plains.

      Take care,
      DUn