Hammock Camping Badlands?

  • tonydemarco66
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2003
      Anybody tried hammocking in the Badlands? I've seen hammocks
      hanging from rocks, etc. but I wonder if it's likely to find
      anywhere in the badlands to do that.

      Thanks,

      T.
    • dunangus73
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tonydemarco66"
        <tonydemarco66@y...> wrote:
        > Anybody tried hammocking in the Badlands? I've seen hammocks
        > hanging from rocks, etc. but I wonder if it's likely to find
        > anywhere in the badlands to do that.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > T.

        T,

        I've been to the Badlands in SD and they are immensely beautiful. I
        can't tell you how much I'd like to hang a hammock there and watch
        the sunset. But, you may be best served using a hammock stand, as the
        geology of the Badlands is glacial sediment. I doubt you could find
        rock that wouldn't crumble. Someone on this list spoke about a bamboo
        hammock stand that may work nicely. If you go, I'd recommend the
        Pioneer trail to a nice little secluded butte that you can camp on as
        long as you are out of sight. At least that was the regulation back
        in 1997. Beware the Bison in the lower campground and also it get
        mighty cold up there on the high plains.

        Take care,
        DUn