Hammocks Above Treeline

  • Miguel Arboleda
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2003
      I just finished making a double-bottom hammock and so far so good
      (though, I've got to say it's pretty heavy! How does everyone manage to
      get this to stay in the ultralight range?). One concern I have now is
      the tarp. Whereas I know that there are a number of configurations you
      can pitch the tarp in to protect against the wind, there is still a
      concern that strong winds will cause the tarp to lough wildly,
      especially above timberline.

      Here in Japan a lot of backpacking is done high in the alpine regions
      of such places as the Japan Alps, where more often than not "stealth
      camping" is definitely not allowed (the mountains in Japan are severely
      beleaguered by erosion and overuse and the national park authorities
      have begun to clamp down on any individualistic divergences. In fact
      the entire northern region of the island of Honshu that I live on has
      banned all camping of any form in the alpine regions. All overnight
      stays for mountain walking is restricted to the mountain lodges) and
      camping must be done on the hard-packed, often treeless and rocky open
      spaces on the leeward side of the crags. In such places it is often not
      possible to properly set up a tarp (though with imagination there are
      ways to get around this), particularly when space is at a premium, and
      the long guidelines that tarps require take up too much real estate in
      the very crowded campsites.

      I've contemplating using a single wall, ultralight shelter like the
      SilShelter or TarpTent for both the hammock canopy and a ground shelter
      when the hammock cannot be used or the wind is powerful. So far my
      SilShelter is much too short as a tarp to properly cover my hammock,
      but the TarpTent, deployed without its rear pole and stretched at an
      angle above the hammock just about fits over the length of the hammock,
      though is still a bit too short to properly give coverage. Another
      shelter I wanted to think about, but which I don't have access to,
      would be the George Tarp, though this, too, deployed along the ridge,
      is too short, I think.

      I've been thinking that maybe I will have to make my own, longer
      version of the TarpTent, so that I can get the coverage I need.

      Has anyone worked with a dual-purpose shelter as coverage for the
      hammock and as a wind-resistant ground shelter? Any suggestions or