Re: First cold night

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2003
      Dennis,

      Thanks for the info. What would help me is if when we do temperature
      testing, if we could put some kind of "degrees of temperature
      insulation value" on individual items. For instance you mention
      several items that have insulative value, 3/8" foam, Reflectix,
      fleece clothing, Capilene top and silkweight bottom. Say at 75
      degrees you need nothing and at 35 degrees all of the above kept you
      warm, that required at least 40 degrees of insulation. Any idea how
      much was due to 3/8" foam, the Reflectix or the clothing?

      I think we have all read reports that is summary state something
      like "with a 14 ounce Ridgerest they stayed warm in their hammock at
      5 degrees"... along with 5 pounds of additional clothing that they
      just mention briefly. Sometimes the clothing worn has most of the
      insulative value, as well as most of the weight and bulk. It would
      be nice if this year we could devise a way to more accurately
      represent the insulating value, weight and bulk of the various
      components. Any ideas? Or is this not practical or necessary?

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Shubitowski"
      <shubitow@c...> wrote:
      > Hi all -
      >
      > Just wanted to send in the results of my first pretty darn cold
      night in a Hennessy Expedition A-sym. My wife and I went up to
      northern Michigan where the wild elk roam over Labor Day weekend. I
      spent the weekend in the hammock and the first night likely got into
      the mid to upper 30s F with absolutely no cloud cover. I had the
      Target 3/8" foam pad that is 27" wide. I rounded the corners off of
      it at home and I also brought a length of Reflectix (aluminized
      bubble wrap) as long as the pad - I think it is probably the 16" wide
      size as a guess. I used my GoLite Fuzz quilt and wore a Cloudveil
      Schoeller hat, liner gloves, fleece bottoms and Capilene lightweight
      top and silkweight bottoms, and my Smartwool hiking socks. I also had
      a fleece top that I took off and used for a pillow. I slept great all
      night and stayed quite warm probably until very early morning (maybe
      3 to 4am) which is usually the coldest point in the night here in
      Michigan. I noticed cold creeping in then, but it was not overly
      uncomfortable. The padding was skewed a bit (the Reflectix had
      scooted out from underneath in spots) and that probably had something
      to do with it. It did not bother me enough to wrangle around to get
      everything back underneath me again, so I just went back to sleep and
      huddle more underneath the quilt.

      > So far, this GoLite Fuzz quilt was an awesome purchase on super-
      closeout at REI. I could not sew it for what I paid for it ($40? I
      think). I would really like something similar in down though instead
      of synthetic - I think it would work just as well. Anyway, this set
      up is probably quite close to Shane's pad system. The only thing
      lacking was a Neatsheet, but that is because I couldn't find one at
      the store. This setup is still far too bulky for a 3100 cu in
      backpack (Gregory G Pack), but looks like it would work for a more
      roomy pack like the GVP G4 at 4500 cu in.