RE: Hammock Camping Re: Oh Boy, Cold Wars II, winding up!

  • Thomas Peltier
    Message 1 of 57 , Sep 3, 2003

      When camping with a dog in cold weather he too must be kept warm.  Hanging in his own “hammock” below you on his own pad could ad warmth a bit, kind of like the dog in the tent.  He won’t sleep on your bag this way either.  Moving around may be a problem depending on how the cone is connected to your hammock.

      Reading the posts I started thinking about the tent and rain fly.  How  a double walled tent creates a lot of warmth with the air insulation area between the tent and fly.  I remembered how amazed I was at this affect when I was younger.  Now I’m thinking about how we could apply this to the bottom of a hammock tent.

      A double bottom below you and separate from your hammock.  You could have a “Floor for you hammock and then sling a blanket under the hammock as well in cold weather.  If effect this is layers you in the hammock, an under quilt, some air space then the hammock floor and then the “Rain Fly” Floor.

      Now since you do not have to stand or sleep on your floor there is no reason for the floor to be flat.  If could be say a cone.  You could cut the fabric and steak it out to create the double wall affect with a few inches in between.  You can then adjust your rain fly from the top appropriately to block side wind ect.

      I’m starting to think this sounds bulky but I’m thinking cold weather here and it’s better than all the stuff I carry now.  I think, plus being in the hammock and warm would be priceless in winter settings.

    • Thomas Peltier
      Message 57 of 57 , Sep 12, 2003

        Looks very nice.