First cold night

  • Dennis Shubitowski
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2003
      Hi all -

      Just wanted to send in the results of my first pretty darn cold night in a Hennessy Expedition A-sym. My wife and I went up to northern Michigan where the wild elk roam over Labor Day weekend. I spent the weekend in the hammock and the first night likely got into the mid to upper 30s F with absolutely no cloud cover. I had the Target 3/8" foam pad that is 27" wide. I rounded the corners off of it at home and I also brought a length of Reflectix (aluminized bubble wrap) as long as the pad - I think it is probably the 16" wide size as a guess. I used my GoLite Fuzz quilt and wore a Cloudveil Schoeller hat, liner gloves, fleece bottoms and Capilene lightweight top and silkweight bottoms, and my Smartwool hiking socks. I also had a fleece top that I took off and used for a pillow. I slept great all night and stayed quite warm probably until very early morning (maybe 3 to 4am) which is usually the coldest point in the night here in Michigan. I noticed cold creeping in then, but it was not overly uncomfortable. The padding was skewed a bit (the Reflectix had scooted out from underneath in spots) and that probably had something to do with it. It did not bother me enough to wrangle around to get everything back underneath me again, so I just went back to sleep and huddle more underneath the quilt.

      So far, this GoLite Fuzz quilt was an awesome purchase on super-closeout at REI. I could not sew it for what I paid for it ($40? I think). I would really like something similar in down though instead of synthetic - I think it would work just as well. Anyway, this set up is probably quite close to Shane's pad system. The only thing lacking was a Neatsheet, but that is because I couldn't find one at the store. This setup is still far too bulky for a 3100 cu in backpack (Gregory G Pack), but looks like it would work for a more roomy pack like the GVP G4 at 4500 cu in.

      Dennis
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2003
        Dennis,

        Thanks for the info. What would help me is if when we do temperature
        testing, if we could put some kind of "degrees of temperature
        insulation value" on individual items. For instance you mention
        several items that have insulative value, 3/8" foam, Reflectix,
        fleece clothing, Capilene top and silkweight bottom. Say at 75
        degrees you need nothing and at 35 degrees all of the above kept you
        warm, that required at least 40 degrees of insulation. Any idea how
        much was due to 3/8" foam, the Reflectix or the clothing?

        I think we have all read reports that is summary state something
        like "with a 14 ounce Ridgerest they stayed warm in their hammock at
        5 degrees"... along with 5 pounds of additional clothing that they
        just mention briefly. Sometimes the clothing worn has most of the
        insulative value, as well as most of the weight and bulk. It would
        be nice if this year we could devise a way to more accurately
        represent the insulating value, weight and bulk of the various
        components. Any ideas? Or is this not practical or necessary?

        Youngblood

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Shubitowski"