This weekend's expedition

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 23, 2003
      Woo hoo! It's going to go below freezing this weekend in
      Florida. And I'll be out in the forest! Here's my plan:

      Clothes
      -polypro long johns
      -smartwool socks
      -100 wt fleece pants
      -200 wt fleece jacket
      -fleece balaclava
      -maybe gloves

      Hammock
      -1 inch thick combination pad (20 x 60 Mountain Hardwear
      Backcountry)
      -1/4 inch evazote pad, 30 x 48 for torso
      -Pea Pod bag

      I think I'll take an inside cover, too. I'm considering a 5
      x 8 wool blanket, or maybe my poncho liner, or maybe my
      Wallcreeper sleeping bag.

      Any suggestions?

      Bear
    • Marge Prothman
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 23, 2003
        Hey Bear,
        Be sure and take the gloves and also are you hiking someplace with all the
        gear, or is it
        more of a car camping thing? I am good to 27 degrees with just the Mt.Wash
        Pad and Windshield reflector. Well you could take a little Southern Comfort
        it is great in Hot Chocolate.

        Cheers, Marge (the old gal)
        http:/www.prothman.org/marge a work in progress

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 23, 2003
          Marge:

          I'll be hiking into the forest along a well-defined trail
          for maybe 30 minutes, then another 30 minutes of game trails
          to reach my campsite.

          Okay on the gloves. I haven't taken gloves very seriously
          yet, but if heat loss through my hands is anything like
          through my head, it will make a big difference.

          What "all the gear?" The only thing I have extra is a second
          pad and an inside blanket. Maybe 2 or 3 pounds tops. I could
          easily compensate by leaving behind my Trangia cooking gear
          and going with Esbit, and skipping a change of clothes.

          I may keep my eyes open for a spot where I can pitch low to
          the ground and try banking up leaves, too.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 23, 2003
            Have a great time and be sure to let us know how you make out, we have
            Fresh snow this morning, so it is ski time.
            Cheers, Marge

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 23, 2003
              Message
              Best of luck  Bear!  I too am excited about the current cold snap--but I'm off to a hiker gathering in PA and will miss the oppurtunity to really test my hammock this time.  Was 10 F and 3" snow here last night.  Expecing 0-5F in PA this weekend, but I'll have the chance to share a tent with a younger woman, so......hah, hah

              Eat well, stay hydrated and keep your head warm!  I'd also take, in case you need it, a summer sleeping bag for a top blanket.  This is a test, so don't worry about weight--carry backup gear until you know what works...Ed

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 31 8:18 AM
                Gang:

                It was almost perfect weather this weekend. From the low 60s
                to mid 70s. A couple of hours hard rain before I had to get
                up Sunday, then overcast but dry the rest of the day for the
                hike out.

                I conducted very few experiments this time -- I mostly
                wanted to enjoy some quiet hours, dreaming and drowsing in
                the forest.

                I did try something with my tree ropes, though. I often use
                two ten-foot lengths of 1/4-inch nylon sheathed spectra to
                tie around the trees. I tie my hammock lines to a loop or
                two of this rope.

                This time I determined the middle of each rope and tied a
                figure 8 on a bight there. This let me tie the tree ropes
                tight around the tree, but left a loop to which I could tie
                the hammock lines.

                It worked pretty well. The figure 8 did get mighty tight,
                but I was able to work it loose with just my fingers when it
                was time to pack up. If I wanted to, I guess I could just
                leave the knots there -- it's not as if they have to be
                adjusted.

                That's a funny thing though, I prefer to take my rig apart
                completely, separate the ropes, and take out any knots. It
                means a longer setup and takedown time, but for some reason
                I don't like to leave things attached. I guess it's the idea
                of restricting the potential configurations of the gear or
                something.

                It's good practice to have to tie the knots every time.

                I dreamed up a notion for a self-centering hammock. Here
                goes.

                You use straps for your hammock mains, like a Speer hammock.
                (Or tie your hammock ropes to straps a short distance from
                the hammock.) One of the straps has to terminate in a double
                D ring.

                You tie tree ropes or straps to the trees, with a circular
                or D ring included as an attaching point.

                You run the hammock mains through the rings on the tree
                ropes, then join the mains over top of the hammock, using
                the double D rings to tension the hammock.

                That is, your hammock mains run out through the tree rings
                then back over top of the hammock, forming a ridgeline.

                Since the hammock isn't fixed to the trees, you can slide it
                back and forth until it's centered.

                The double-d rings will hold the weight all right, but that
                much strap might be too elastic.

                The strap ridgeline would be a good height for me to drape a
                mosquito net over, but I'd want to put my tarp up higher,
                maybe on a second ridgeline or maybe floating -- tied to
                itself around the trees -- like I usually do.

                Then the whole deal, hammock and tarp, could be centered
                without undoing anything.

                That's one of my favorite things to daydream about while I'm
                swinging in my hammock -- different hammock rigs, and
                cooking systems, and packing methods, etc.

                Bear