heat loss explanation

  • simva4040
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2 7:41 PM
      That was an excellent explanation of heat loss versus cold
      gain....now how about a discussion on vapor barriers and their
      application in hammocking....I use a pack liner that is also a whole
      body vapor barrier, I carry it because you never know when you may
      need to treat someone for shock or have an extra sleeping bag (with
      the addition of garbage bags filled with leaves/etc.)and as the
      obvious pack liner. Surely most here are studied in the merits of
      vapor barriers in extreme cold--but what about their use in the
      HH,Spear, and other hammock?
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2 7:57 PM
        From what I've read on various sites, Stevenson Warmlite etc vapor
        bariers are real tricky. I tend to view them as a good tool to have
        as a standby but not for general everyday camping. In an artic
        enviorment I could see a real benifit as it would keep your
        insulation dry from your own moisture. To me the best solutoin is
        to sleep with just enough insulation to be comfortable but avoid
        overheating at all cost. Tough to do in mid summer but easier in a
        hammock. In the winter keeping warm on the bottom side is the
        biggest challenge and a vapor barier wont help much in that
        reguard. I would be courious as to any experimenting though.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "simva4040" <simva4040@y...>