Re: Oh Boy, Cold Wars II, winding up!

  • o123david
    Message 1 of 57 , Sep 2, 2003
      Rick,
      I am trying to make the simplest and lightest hammock possible where
      the insulation inside is protected from the wind. If it isn't
      protected then I find the wind blows the cold air at least part-way
      into the insulation (even pads) and compromises the insulation.

      A hammock made out of a windproof material would block the wind.
      The problem, of course, is condensation.

      You find two layers of 1.1 oz DWR ripstop works without a
      condensation problem.
      You find that silnylon, such as 1.9 oz ripstop that then has silicon
      added, will cause a condensation problem.
      Ed recommends spraying something onto the 1.9 oz ripstop of his
      hammock (which I have), but my impression from the experiences he has
      described is that this does not work well in strong wind.
      The impression I am getting is that in order to get good protection
      from the wind I have to have a windproof layer such as polyethylene
      or silnylon or tyvek hanging around the hammock. Then, to prevent the
      condensation problem that these materials cause I have to let air
      come up through the bottom of the hammock and exit, warmed and
      carrying the moisture, out the top.

      I have tried this last method and it appears to work. The clamminess
      that I felt should disappear as I hang the hammock in more of a U
      shape and sleep on an angle, permitting more air to come in through
      the bottom.

      Two questions.
      Does it appear that I am interpreting your experiences correctly?
      And do you have any other suggestions?

      Thanks. --David
    • Thomas Peltier
      Message 57 of 57 , Sep 12, 2003