RE: Hammock Camping more questions about pads

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2003
      Message
      Jamie, choosing the right sleep pad for any given temperature is critical.  While wider is generally better, thickness and density of insulation is also important.  I included tables of hammock pad thickness vs temp in my book and in the free Jan 03 issue of Hammock Camping Newsletter  http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/Jan2003.htm
      Extra thick foam pads can become  uncomfortable since they often produce large bulges or folds.  5/8" should not be a problem--but I have had problems with 3/4" ones.  By itself, the 5/8" pad should be good down to about 40-35F--below that you'll need more bottom insulation....Ed

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2003
        Thanks Ed. I will go back and re-read the Jan newsletter and also
        think about picking up your book. The folding or bulging is not
        really a problem since I wont be actuall on the pad. I have made a
        wind and water resistant outer shell for my hammock which will hold
        the pad under me.
        Arizonan's are alwasy anxious for our long hot summer to end and
        cooler temps to return to the valley, but I am especially looking
        forward to the fall and winter this year for testing purposes! :)

        Thanks again for everyone input and I love this group.
        Jamie in AZ

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2003
          Message
          Jamie, I lived in Tuscon in the early 70s and even graduated from UA!  I never really intended to leave permanently, but life did lead me away.  Always hope to get back sometime.  I especially remember October in the desert--really awesome!  certainly can't beat southern AZ for about 7 months of the year...Ed

          Moderator

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 11, 2003
            Yep Ed you are right about that, but we don't like to let that kind
            of info. out in the population, if you know what I mean. There are
            too many damn snowbirds here as it is. Really folks, it's hot and
            almost unlivable here 90% of the year! :)

            jamie

            > Jamie, I lived in Tuscon in the early 70s and even graduated from
            UA! I
            > never really intended to leave permanently, but life did lead me
            away.
            > Always hope to get back sometime. I especially remember October in
            the
            > desert--really awesome! certainly can't beat southern AZ for about
            7
            > months of the year...Ed
            >
            > Moderator
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping