update, plus serge???

  • robi dawson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2003
      Hi everybody!

      The donated hammocks are on their first outing!!!!!

      Two of the three teachers chaperoning the 9th graders on a week long field trip to some forest in Hungary took hammocks! They want to give them a test run before they let the kids use them! Fair enough, although when the kids realize how much more comfortable the teachers were they may revolt!

      Thanks again!

      Now what does serge mean? as in hem the edges or serge them.... i would be happy to read up on sewing and learn more, so if you feel like pointing me to a sewing 101 site instead of explaining serging, that is fine with me.

      thanks

      robi

      At 01:07 PM 8/30/03 +0000, you wrote:
      Hi Chet,

      Thanks for the kudos!

      The only mod I think I will make is to trim a little off the width of
      the ends.  The very end folded over about 5 inches at each end.  I
      will find out what width actually existed and then trim to that width.

      I am going to try to fold the pad, but if that does not work, I may
      try your idea of creating a hinge.  Duct tape will work, though I am
      concerned about "creep" of the duct tape on the pad when it is warm.
      I am considering cutting a "dashed line" of knife cuts. to create a
      fold line.

      With my quilt, I am concerned about not having a pad down to my feet.

      I do as you, up to now, I have used the 27 inch wide pad as a pack
      frame barrel.  It occurs to me that it might work to fold the excess
      11 inches over and let that expand into the extra room in the bottom
      of my G4 variant.

      Rick

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chet Clocksin"
      <cclocksin@b...> wrote:
      > Rick, you will really like the extra width. I use a pad that is a
      20" x 72"
      > blue foam cut in half, and duct taped together, producing a pad that is
      > about 40 x 36. Used in my double bottom speer hammock, it works
      fantastic.
      > Provides complete protection around the shoulders and arms, and mine
      folded
      > in half and inserted into my G-4 pack barrel style, functions as my
      > packframe. The G-4 also has a pad/frame sleeve on the front of the
      pack, and
      > I carry a windshield reflector in there in case It gets really cold, in
      > which case I'll use both pads. I have not had the need yet for both
      pads. If
      > I know its going to get chilly out I'll sleep with long pants and wool
      > socks, and put my feet in the foot pocket of my  mimmy bag used as a
      quilt.

      > BTW, thanks for all your posts/pictures/experiments, etc. I had thought
      > about the benefits of a double bottom hammock ever since I bought my
      HH and
      > had to wrestle with a pad in it. Once I decided to make a Speer hammock,
      > your posts and web page convinced me to make it a double bottom. I
      decided
      > to go with the Speer method for attaching a bug net, which works
      great, but
      > I am going to try your quarter weight design on a prototype one of these
      > days. Also, on my home made Speer hammock, I use a "structural"
      ridge line
      > to keep the right sag in the hammock, ease set up, and decrease the
      > cocooning effect. Its simply a line tied around the loop of the hanging
      > strap just above the knot. I pulled it tight, and tied it off to the
      other
      > strap just above the knot on that end. My ridge line length is 8
      feet, while
      > my hammock body is 9 feet.
      >
      > Chet

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      72f2b.jpg
      73113.jpg

    • Risk
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2003
        Robi,

        The serged edge of material, is often the edge of the material as it
        comes from the factory... It is a fancy z shaped stitch which most
        home machines do not have. There are special serging machines that
        cost lots of money, and which are usually busy doing embroidery. They
        can serge an edge plus a lot more.

        Hope this helps.

        For my part, I find it just as useful with all our nylons and meltable
        fabrics to just cut the fabric with a red hot knife (heated with a
        propane torch every meter or two of cut) and skip all the serging
        directions.

        Rick

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi dawson <beanco@m...> wrote:
> [...]
        > > > had to wrestle with a pad in it. Once I decided to make a Speer
        hammock,
        > > > your posts and web page convinced me to make it a double bottom. I
        > >decided
        > > > to go with the Speer method for attaching a bug net, which works
        > >great, but
        > > > I am going to try your quarter weight design on a prototype one
        of these
        > > > days. Also, on my home made Speer hammock, I use a "structural"
        > >ridge line
        > > > to keep the right sag in the hammock, ease set up, and decrease the
        > > > cocooning effect. Its simply a line tied around the loop of the
        hanging
        > > > strap just above the knot. I pulled it tight, and tied it off to the
        > >other
        > > > strap just above the knot on that end. My ridge line length is 8

        Service.

        > >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        >
        ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3793308.5048975.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065843:HM/A=1712983/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1374-105951838331032>72f2b.jpg
        > >73113.jpg

      • David Anderson
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2003
          At 07:51 PM 9/2/2003 +0000, you wrote:
          >For my part, I find it just as useful with all our nylons and meltable
          >fabrics to just cut the fabric with a red hot knife (heated with a
          >propane torch every meter or two of cut) and skip all the serging
          >directions.
          >
          >Rick

          Just get the hot knife tip for your soldering iron or solder gun. I bought
          mine after trying the bic lighter method on some 30D ripstop.

          --
          David Anderson
          Moderator