Re: Hammock Camping Insulation suit - Perhaps another snake oil remedy- cont

  • dunangus73
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1 8:19 PM
      ...you try to stuff the beastie in your backpack. One of the neatest
      ideas
      > around right now seems to be the down-filled inflatable mattress.
      Air pressure
      > keeps the down from compressing until you want it to compress, then
      you open the
      > air valve. Try incorporating something like that in your 'jammies.

      Yes, the D.A.M.!I was thinking about that this weekend. Do they work
      well? What I understand from reading about the Stephenson D.A.M. is
      that you may still need a pad underneath it. Too much air circulating
      beneath you. The ability to inflate it would solve the packability
      problem, though. I thought of the closed-cell foam and the fleece
      over it. Maybe that would just be for very cold weather use..Either
      way,I don't think we'd be winning fashion awards, but it may work.
    • dunangus73
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1 8:36 PM
        <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
        > Hi dunangus73, ...Make your Jumpsuit with a mix of Down and
        > Packing Peanuts, the Down to keep you warm and the
        > Packing Peanuts to keep the Down from compressing. Do
        > I think the Packing Peanuts would work, that is not
        > the point. I do think if there was something you could
        > mix in with the Down so it would not compress flat
        > your idea might work. The Packing Peanuts like stuff
        > could be your first test to see if the idea would
        > work. Then maybe you could find something better to
        > use that would provide the bulk necessary to let the
        > Down work. I will try it if you don't want to. Bill
        >

        > Bill, go for it! Please experiment away. I won't have the time for
        a while. But, you got to proomise to give me a 10% discount when you
        sell it!)What got me thinking about it was that we're floating in an
        alien environment above the ground when we're in ahammock, so that's
        why I started to think about a wet suit. You wouldn't be able to stay
        on a pad underwater, and since I thrash so much at night when I
        sleep, I have a similar problem using pads in hammocks and tents.

        Take care,
        Dun
      • Thomas Peltier