Re: Hammock Camping Insulation suit - Perhaps another snake oil remedy- cont

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
      Make the sleeping suit like a poncho on top and a pair
      of chaps on the bottom. Then role it up with your
      sleeping pad or like you would a sleeping when you are
      not using it. That would be even easier to make. How
      light does this have to be? Or maybe the question
      should be, how heavy can it be? Bill

      --- navjohn@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 8/31/03 14:17:49,
      > bfornshell@... writes:
      >
      > >Make you Jumpsuit with a mix of Down and
      > >Packing Peanuts, the Down to keep you warm and the
      > >Packing Peanuts to keep the Down from compressing
      > Yes, but -- the packing peanuts will also keep the
      > down from compressing when
      > you try to stuff the beastie in your backpack. One
      > of the neatest ideas
      > around right now seems to be the down-filled
      > inflatable mattress. Air pressure
      > keeps the down from compressing until you want it to
      > compress, then you open the
      > air valve. Try incorporating something like that in
      > your 'jammies.

      =====
      Bill Fornshell
      Founder and President
      Cold Mountain Chanoyu
      (Tea School for the New Millennium)
      School of One
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • dunangus73
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
        ...you try to stuff the beastie in your backpack. One of the neatest
        ideas
        > around right now seems to be the down-filled inflatable mattress.
        Air pressure
        > keeps the down from compressing until you want it to compress, then
        you open the
        > air valve. Try incorporating something like that in your 'jammies.

        Yes, the D.A.M.!I was thinking about that this weekend. Do they work
        well? What I understand from reading about the Stephenson D.A.M. is
        that you may still need a pad underneath it. Too much air circulating
        beneath you. The ability to inflate it would solve the packability
        problem, though. I thought of the closed-cell foam and the fleece
        over it. Maybe that would just be for very cold weather use..Either
        way,I don't think we'd be winning fashion awards, but it may work.
      • dunangus73
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
          <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
          > Hi dunangus73, ...Make your Jumpsuit with a mix of Down and
          > Packing Peanuts, the Down to keep you warm and the
          > Packing Peanuts to keep the Down from compressing. Do
          > I think the Packing Peanuts would work, that is not
          > the point. I do think if there was something you could
          > mix in with the Down so it would not compress flat
          > your idea might work. The Packing Peanuts like stuff
          > could be your first test to see if the idea would
          > work. Then maybe you could find something better to
          > use that would provide the bulk necessary to let the
          > Down work. I will try it if you don't want to. Bill
          >

          > Bill, go for it! Please experiment away. I won't have the time for
          a while. But, you got to proomise to give me a 10% discount when you
          sell it!)What got me thinking about it was that we're floating in an
          alien environment above the ground when we're in ahammock, so that's
          why I started to think about a wet suit. You wouldn't be able to stay
          on a pad underwater, and since I thrash so much at night when I
          sleep, I have a similar problem using pads in hammocks and tents.

          Take care,
          Dun
        • Thomas Peltier