Re: Hammock Camping Insulation suit - Perhaps another snake oil remedy- cont

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
      Hi dunangus73, This is the kind of thinking that
      will lead to a solution. What I would say is "Hybrid"
      thought. Make you Jumpsuit with a mix of Down and
      Packing Peanuts, the Down to keep you warm and the
      Packing Peanuts to keep the Down from compressing. Do
      I think the Packing Peanuts would work, that is not
      the point. I do think if there was something you could
      mix in with the Down so it would not compress flat
      your idea might work. The Packing Peanuts like stuff
      could be your first test to see if the idea would
      work. Then maybe you could find something better to
      use that would provide the bulk necessary to let the
      Down work. I will try it if you don't want to. Bill

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • navjohn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
        In a message dated 8/31/03 14:17:49, bfornshell@... writes:

        >Make you Jumpsuit with a mix of Down and
        >Packing Peanuts, the Down to keep you warm and the
        >Packing Peanuts to keep the Down from compressing
        Yes, but -- the packing peanuts will also keep the down from compressing when
        you try to stuff the beastie in your backpack. One of the neatest ideas
        around right now seems to be the down-filled inflatable mattress. Air pressure
        keeps the down from compressing until you want it to compress, then you open the
        air valve. Try incorporating something like that in your 'jammies.
      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
          Make the sleeping suit like a poncho on top and a pair
          of chaps on the bottom. Then role it up with your
          sleeping pad or like you would a sleeping when you are
          not using it. That would be even easier to make. How
          light does this have to be? Or maybe the question
          should be, how heavy can it be? Bill

          --- navjohn@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 8/31/03 14:17:49,
          > bfornshell@... writes:
          >
          > >Make you Jumpsuit with a mix of Down and
          > >Packing Peanuts, the Down to keep you warm and the
          > >Packing Peanuts to keep the Down from compressing
          > Yes, but -- the packing peanuts will also keep the
          > down from compressing when
          > you try to stuff the beastie in your backpack. One
          > of the neatest ideas
          > around right now seems to be the down-filled
          > inflatable mattress. Air pressure
          > keeps the down from compressing until you want it to
          > compress, then you open the
          > air valve. Try incorporating something like that in
          > your 'jammies.

          =====
          Bill Fornshell
          Founder and President
          Cold Mountain Chanoyu
          (Tea School for the New Millennium)
          School of One
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • dunangus73
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
            ...you try to stuff the beastie in your backpack. One of the neatest
            ideas
            > around right now seems to be the down-filled inflatable mattress.
            Air pressure
            > keeps the down from compressing until you want it to compress, then
            you open the
            > air valve. Try incorporating something like that in your 'jammies.

            Yes, the D.A.M.!I was thinking about that this weekend. Do they work
            well? What I understand from reading about the Stephenson D.A.M. is
            that you may still need a pad underneath it. Too much air circulating
            beneath you. The ability to inflate it would solve the packability
            problem, though. I thought of the closed-cell foam and the fleece
            over it. Maybe that would just be for very cold weather use..Either
            way,I don't think we'd be winning fashion awards, but it may work.
          • dunangus73
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
              <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
              > Hi dunangus73, ...Make your Jumpsuit with a mix of Down and
              > Packing Peanuts, the Down to keep you warm and the
              > Packing Peanuts to keep the Down from compressing. Do
              > I think the Packing Peanuts would work, that is not
              > the point. I do think if there was something you could
              > mix in with the Down so it would not compress flat
              > your idea might work. The Packing Peanuts like stuff
              > could be your first test to see if the idea would
              > work. Then maybe you could find something better to
              > use that would provide the bulk necessary to let the
              > Down work. I will try it if you don't want to. Bill
              >

              > Bill, go for it! Please experiment away. I won't have the time for
              a while. But, you got to proomise to give me a 10% discount when you
              sell it!)What got me thinking about it was that we're floating in an
              alien environment above the ground when we're in ahammock, so that's
              why I started to think about a wet suit. You wouldn't be able to stay
              on a pad underwater, and since I thrash so much at night when I
              sleep, I have a similar problem using pads in hammocks and tents.

              Take care,
              Dun
            • Thomas Peltier