Insulation suit - Perhaps another snake oil remedy

  • dunangus73
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
      Hi folks,

      Perhaps this is a bizarre idea, but has anyone considered sewing a
      pad into their sleeping clothes? Fleece may be a good fabric that you
      could create a fleece jumpsuit against your skin (I also
      remember "cuddle-nap" pajamas when I was a kid in the early 70s with
      built in feet that may be a good design) with evazolite (spelling?)
      padding insulation over the fleece that covers the lower 3/4 of your
      body (back and sides), and over that would be a breathable (maybe not
      necessary)fabric on the outside to block the wind. You wouldn't have
      to worry about rolling off the pad. It wouldn't be all that different
      from a wetsuit as I understand it, but it would be a 3/4 version. It
      would also block the wind…I'm not an engineer so please tell me if
      this idea is not sound. Of course, I have no idea how to make this
      light weight and packable. Any suggestions?

      Take care,
      Dun
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
        Hi dunangus73, This is the kind of thinking that
        will lead to a solution. What I would say is "Hybrid"
        thought. Make you Jumpsuit with a mix of Down and
        Packing Peanuts, the Down to keep you warm and the
        Packing Peanuts to keep the Down from compressing. Do
        I think the Packing Peanuts would work, that is not
        the point. I do think if there was something you could
        mix in with the Down so it would not compress flat
        your idea might work. The Packing Peanuts like stuff
        could be your first test to see if the idea would
        work. Then maybe you could find something better to
        use that would provide the bulk necessary to let the
        Down work. I will try it if you don't want to. Bill

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • navjohn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
          In a message dated 8/31/03 14:17:49, bfornshell@... writes:

          >Make you Jumpsuit with a mix of Down and
          >Packing Peanuts, the Down to keep you warm and the
          >Packing Peanuts to keep the Down from compressing
          Yes, but -- the packing peanuts will also keep the down from compressing when
          you try to stuff the beastie in your backpack. One of the neatest ideas
          around right now seems to be the down-filled inflatable mattress. Air pressure
          keeps the down from compressing until you want it to compress, then you open the
          air valve. Try incorporating something like that in your 'jammies.
        • Bill Fornshell
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
            Make the sleeping suit like a poncho on top and a pair
            of chaps on the bottom. Then role it up with your
            sleeping pad or like you would a sleeping when you are
            not using it. That would be even easier to make. How
            light does this have to be? Or maybe the question
            should be, how heavy can it be? Bill

            --- navjohn@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 8/31/03 14:17:49,
            > bfornshell@... writes:
            >
            > >Make you Jumpsuit with a mix of Down and
            > >Packing Peanuts, the Down to keep you warm and the
            > >Packing Peanuts to keep the Down from compressing
            > Yes, but -- the packing peanuts will also keep the
            > down from compressing when
            > you try to stuff the beastie in your backpack. One
            > of the neatest ideas
            > around right now seems to be the down-filled
            > inflatable mattress. Air pressure
            > keeps the down from compressing until you want it to
            > compress, then you open the
            > air valve. Try incorporating something like that in
            > your 'jammies.

            =====
            Bill Fornshell
            Founder and President
            Cold Mountain Chanoyu
            (Tea School for the New Millennium)
            School of One
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • dunangus73
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
              ...you try to stuff the beastie in your backpack. One of the neatest
              ideas
              > around right now seems to be the down-filled inflatable mattress.
              Air pressure
              > keeps the down from compressing until you want it to compress, then
              you open the
              > air valve. Try incorporating something like that in your 'jammies.

              Yes, the D.A.M.!I was thinking about that this weekend. Do they work
              well? What I understand from reading about the Stephenson D.A.M. is
              that you may still need a pad underneath it. Too much air circulating
              beneath you. The ability to inflate it would solve the packability
              problem, though. I thought of the closed-cell foam and the fleece
              over it. Maybe that would just be for very cold weather use..Either
              way,I don't think we'd be winning fashion awards, but it may work.
            • dunangus73
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
                <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                > Hi dunangus73, ...Make your Jumpsuit with a mix of Down and
                > Packing Peanuts, the Down to keep you warm and the
                > Packing Peanuts to keep the Down from compressing. Do
                > I think the Packing Peanuts would work, that is not
                > the point. I do think if there was something you could
                > mix in with the Down so it would not compress flat
                > your idea might work. The Packing Peanuts like stuff
                > could be your first test to see if the idea would
                > work. Then maybe you could find something better to
                > use that would provide the bulk necessary to let the
                > Down work. I will try it if you don't want to. Bill
                >

                > Bill, go for it! Please experiment away. I won't have the time for
                a while. But, you got to proomise to give me a 10% discount when you
                sell it!)What got me thinking about it was that we're floating in an
                alien environment above the ground when we're in ahammock, so that's
                why I started to think about a wet suit. You wouldn't be able to stay
                on a pad underwater, and since I thrash so much at night when I
                sleep, I have a similar problem using pads in hammocks and tents.

                Take care,
                Dun
              • Thomas Peltier