Re: more questions about pads

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2003
      I am talking about that very same place Carol. They mostly have
      hunting, fishing, type stuff but the store is huge and has just about
      everything for the outdoors you can think of. Not a ton of
      backpacking items, I guess it depend on how bored you are this
      weekend! :)

      jamie in az

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "cmcrooker" <cmcrooker@w...>

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2003
        Message
        Jamie, choosing the right sleep pad for any given temperature is critical.  While wider is generally better, thickness and density of insulation is also important.  I included tables of hammock pad thickness vs temp in my book and in the free Jan 03 issue of Hammock Camping Newsletter  http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/Jan2003.htm
        Extra thick foam pads can become  uncomfortable since they often produce large bulges or folds.  5/8" should not be a problem--but I have had problems with 3/4" ones.  By itself, the 5/8" pad should be good down to about 40-35F--below that you'll need more bottom insulation....Ed

      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2003
          Thanks Ed. I will go back and re-read the Jan newsletter and also
          think about picking up your book. The folding or bulging is not
          really a problem since I wont be actuall on the pad. I have made a
          wind and water resistant outer shell for my hammock which will hold
          the pad under me.
          Arizonan's are alwasy anxious for our long hot summer to end and
          cooler temps to return to the valley, but I am especially looking
          forward to the fall and winter this year for testing purposes! :)

          Thanks again for everyone input and I love this group.
          Jamie in AZ

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3, 2003
            Message
            Jamie, I lived in Tuscon in the early 70s and even graduated from UA!  I never really intended to leave permanently, but life did lead me away.  Always hope to get back sometime.  I especially remember October in the desert--really awesome!  certainly can't beat southern AZ for about 7 months of the year...Ed

            Moderator

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 11, 2003
              Yep Ed you are right about that, but we don't like to let that kind
              of info. out in the population, if you know what I mean. There are
              too many damn snowbirds here as it is. Really folks, it's hot and
              almost unlivable here 90% of the year! :)

              jamie

              > Jamie, I lived in Tuscon in the early 70s and even graduated from
              UA! I
              > never really intended to leave permanently, but life did lead me
              away.
              > Always hope to get back sometime. I especially remember October in
              the
              > desert--really awesome! certainly can't beat southern AZ for about
              7
              > months of the year...Ed
              >
              > Moderator
              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping