Re: Hammock Camping Digest Number 235

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2003
      Carol-

      It sounds like you may just need more opportunities to practice sleeping in your hammock. 8-)

      I have an Asym Backpacker and an earlier UL Backpacker.  When I want to travel light and fast (usually alone), I'll take the older model.  When I have a guest, he or she may be using the lighter and smaller hammock.  Example, last weekend my 13 Y O nephew used the UL backpacker, I used the Asym.  Dropped off nephew, picked up hubby from the airport.  Next day, we went out together and I used the UL while he used an Explorer.  We did about 10 miles.  Then I repacked at home and used the UL overnight again.  Managed to do 25 miles in two days.  Every bit of weight I can lose I will, when I'm going for lots of mileage.

      I'm about 5' 9" and I am very happy in either backpacking hammock.  In cold weather, I have used foam pads under me.  Try a piece of (waffled looking) rubber shelf grip under the pad to get it to slide less.  What pad did you use?  If a Thermarest, try underinflating it a bit, so it is less stiff.  If you use a full length pad, try folding the foot area to one side as you get in, or dropping the foot end out of the slit like a big tongue, then pull it in after you are in the hammock.  If you use a pad, consider using your bag like a blanket over you.  Then there will be NO wrestling with it.

      Ever get oput to the east coast?  We can put the hammock tips to a good test together.

      Cheers!

      Rosaleen

      From: "cmcrooker" <cmcrooker@...>
      Subject: First night in a Hennessy

      I was on a backpacking trip in Idaho with some other lightweight
      backpackers and got to try their hammocks.  I slept one night in an
      Explorer UL A-sym while car camping at the TH.  Slept comfortably,
      had lots of room.  After the backpack trip, I slept in an UL A-sym
      backpacker.  Less room, harder to get into because the ridge line is
      closer to the hammock body.  The first hour I was struggling, trying
      to get the pad under me and bag over me.  I was thinking, This
      Sucks!  I got out of the hammock to do some business and then
      crawled back in.  The hammock owner had offered to let me borrow the
      hammock (backpacker, for a month or so).  I drifted off to sleep
      thinking it just would not be worth it because I was struggling so
      much.  Then I woke up 5 and half hours later.  That changed my
      mind.  I have the hammock in Phoenix now, but will have to wait till
      it at least gets under 100 or drive noorth to try this hammock out
      some more.
      Carol

    • cmcrooker
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 30, 2003
        Hi Rosaleen,
        Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't taken the hammock out for
        practice yet. Phoenix is starting to get slightly cooler though, so
        it won't be much longer.
        I am going to be in NY in October for a family reunion. I won't get
        to backpack though on this trip. I'll be in NC next June. Where do
        you live?
        Carol