hammocks in GSMNP

  • simva4040
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2003
      I have done the AT section in this NP and can say that the shetlers
      are intended for you to use, if there is no room in the shelter then
      you are to tent within a cerain number of yards of the shelter, that
      if you are caught by a ranger offending these rules you will be
      fined...so good luck hanging a hammock...it sucks because the
      shelters there are the pits of all the shelters I have encountered on
      the AT (Springer to VA42 so far)...dark,dank,imprisoned,nasty....
      but, there is the option of stealth camping which if you think about
      it is the thinking man's/woman's way to avoid bears with us knowing
      that the bears no where the shelters are....
      Parking at Fontana? no better place to leave a vehicle that I have
      seen on the trail. The TVA has their own police and with all the
      terrorism in the world dams are watched carefully, you also have
      the 'Fontana Hilton' and showers at the visitors facility.
      When I did Clingmans to Fontana I was ripped off of lots of good
      views by mother nature, so in October we are doing that section over
      again and in November we are back in Va from Va42--->Daleville.
      This month (in 6 days) we are off to New Zealand where I promise to
      introduce the HH and underquilts!