pads versus quilts

  • simva4040
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2003
      My problem with the pad is the width. Dont get me wrong, last year
      while tenting past Hogpen gap I was very cozy on a closed cell pad
      (inside a Hilleberg Akto and further inside a WM Versalite)with outer
      temps in the upper teens. The problem with the closed cell pads is
      that you:
      have to tie them onto the pack where they catch on things,
      and/or they take up too much room in the pack.
      Pads work well in hammocks though and you can search the hammocking
      sites and see that pads have served many well into the 30's and for
      some into the 20's.
      I will be experimenting with a pad for the first time in the next
      several weeks-this coming from someone who has made 3 underquilts and
      am working on yet another (this time I will ship the working model to
      Nunatak Gear and have them reproduce it in down/pertex for a hopeful
      weight of 10oz.) But for fun my pad experiments will be with a full
      length thermarest with a 'T' of closed cell foam that will go beyond
      each shoulder, under the thermarest, and from head to almost hip.
      This 'T' of closed cell foam will be my pack 'liner' giving it some
      shape, and of course the thermarest will be in the pack...so nothing
      outside....
      but the beauty of the hammock in the first place is the comfort it
      gives backpackers without the need for a pad...so my ultimate goal is
      to get an underquilt that is as light as possible and this cover the
      20 degree nights.
      My underquilts so far have been effective-though honestly not used
      below 38degrees, but they are heavy, with the modified GoLite Fur
      weighing in at a hefty 1.5 pounds (and that doesnt include the taco
      of reflective sil-nyl used to hold it in place, add another ten
      ounces), and the original of cheapo Walmart nylon and polyfill
      weighing in at 14 ounces but not nearly as warm and the third one
      which is reflective sil-nyl/radiantek/and whatever I can sandwhich
      between the radiantek layer and the bottom of my hammock, and that
      whatever is almost always a WM Flight.
      Ironically the WM Flight in XL weighs in at a hair beyond 12oz., and
      that it what my down underquilt will probably end up weighing!
      The beauty of the underquilt is simply that is will small up enough
      to stay in the pack where it doesnt get in the way of limbs, also you
      wont slip off of it in the middle of the night and so on.
      Think quilt but play with all options, surely someone here will
      discover the new ceramic paints on the market and slather some on a
      piece of sil-nyl and sleep naked in a hammock at 20 below!
      Medicine Man