more questions about pads

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 29 11:00 PM
      Okay, I was looking at some closed cell foam pads today at a new
      outdoor store that just opened near my home. Whoo hoo! They were
      either LWH 72"x27"x3/8 or the same by 5/8th. I have been keeping up
      with all the cold weather solutions since the first posts (thank you
      all buy the way) and I know many use the target pad. My first
      question is has anyone used the 5/8 pad in comparison to the 3/8 and
      what were your results? Is it overkill? Aslo, down to what temps
      have we had success with either pad size? Finally, is there an
      advantage to using the flat pads as opposed to the ones that are
      bumpy or ridged? I'd also like to know if you are using your pad in
      the hammock or under.

      jamie in az
    • cmcrooker
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 29 11:44 PM
        I'm interested in any answers to Jamie's questions and...which is
        better, the REI or Target pad? I have both in my house now and
        can't tell just by looking. I like the feel of the REI pad better,
        but it's an ounce heavier.

        Jamie, are you by chance talking about the Sportsman's Warehouse
        (Grand Openign tomorrow?)? I just heard about that place looking
        for a source for some dermatone sunblock for lips/face/etc. If it
        is, any stuff worth driving over there from Mesa to look at?
        Carol

        > Okay, I was looking at some closed cell foam pads today at a new
        > outdoor store that just opened near my home. Whoo hoo! They were
        > either LWH 72"x27"x3/8 or the same by 5/8th. I have been keeping
        up
        > with all the cold weather solutions since the first posts (thank
        you
        > all buy the way) and I know many use the target pad. My first
        > question is has anyone used the 5/8 pad in comparison to the 3/8
        and
        > what were your results? Is it overkill? Aslo, down to what temps
        > have we had success with either pad size? Finally, is there an
        > advantage to using the flat pads as opposed to the ones that are
        > bumpy or ridged? I'd also like to know if you are using your pad
        in
        > the hammock or under.
        >
        > jamie in az
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 30 6:01 PM
          I am talking about that very same place Carol. They mostly have
          hunting, fishing, type stuff but the store is huge and has just about
          everything for the outdoors you can think of. Not a ton of
          backpacking items, I guess it depend on how bored you are this
          weekend! :)

          jamie in az

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "cmcrooker" <cmcrooker@w...>

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2003
            Message
            Jamie, choosing the right sleep pad for any given temperature is critical.  While wider is generally better, thickness and density of insulation is also important.  I included tables of hammock pad thickness vs temp in my book and in the free Jan 03 issue of Hammock Camping Newsletter  http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/Jan2003.htm
            Extra thick foam pads can become  uncomfortable since they often produce large bulges or folds.  5/8" should not be a problem--but I have had problems with 3/4" ones.  By itself, the 5/8" pad should be good down to about 40-35F--below that you'll need more bottom insulation....Ed

          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 2, 2003
              Thanks Ed. I will go back and re-read the Jan newsletter and also
              think about picking up your book. The folding or bulging is not
              really a problem since I wont be actuall on the pad. I have made a
              wind and water resistant outer shell for my hammock which will hold
              the pad under me.
              Arizonan's are alwasy anxious for our long hot summer to end and
              cooler temps to return to the valley, but I am especially looking
              forward to the fall and winter this year for testing purposes! :)

              Thanks again for everyone input and I love this group.
              Jamie in AZ

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 3, 2003
                Message
                Jamie, I lived in Tuscon in the early 70s and even graduated from UA!  I never really intended to leave permanently, but life did lead me away.  Always hope to get back sometime.  I especially remember October in the desert--really awesome!  certainly can't beat southern AZ for about 7 months of the year...Ed

                Moderator

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 11, 2003
                  Yep Ed you are right about that, but we don't like to let that kind
                  of info. out in the population, if you know what I mean. There are
                  too many damn snowbirds here as it is. Really folks, it's hot and
                  almost unlivable here 90% of the year! :)

                  jamie

                  > Jamie, I lived in Tuscon in the early 70s and even graduated from
                  UA! I
                  > never really intended to leave permanently, but life did lead me
                  away.
                  > Always hope to get back sometime. I especially remember October in
                  the
                  > desert--really awesome! certainly can't beat southern AZ for about
                  7
                  > months of the year...Ed
                  >
                  > Moderator
                  > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping