Prototype VERY wide pad

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 29, 2003
      In my camping over the last few months, using a 27 inch wide Target
      pad and my quilt, I have occasionally found it hard to insulate myself
      from the sides of the hammock, where there is no pad. Many times, I
      have needed to pull the sides of the quilt around me to give some
      insulation from the sides.

      Today, I took one of my Target pads and a second one which I was
      willing to sacrifice. I cut a width of 11 inches and full length from
      the second pad, and then used contact cement to edge glue the strip to
      the pad so that I now have a pad 38 inches wide.

      This pad fits nicely in my 48 inch wide double bottom quarter weight
      hammocks. I look forward to trying it out with my quilt on a nice
      cool night sometime soon. I hope that I can now just use the quilt on
      top of me, and not worry so much about trying to tuck it under me.

      I also expect that I will be building a new quilt this fall. I want
      to see how a one pound down quilt works in comparison to my 30 oz
      polarguard quilt.

      That's the hammock experimenting I spent the day off working on.

      Y'all have fun!

      Rick
    • Chet Clocksin
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 30, 2003
        Rick, you will really like the extra width. I use a pad that is a 20" x 72" blue foam cut in half, and duct taped together, producing a pad that is about 40 x 36. Used in my double bottom speer hammock, it works fantastic. Provides complete protection around the shoulders and arms, and mine folded in half and inserted into my G-4 pack barrel style, functions as my packframe. The G-4 also has a pad/frame sleeve on the front of the pack, and I carry a windshield reflector in there in case It gets really cold, in which case I'll use both pads. I have not had the need yet for both pads. If I know its going to get chilly out I'll sleep with long pants and wool socks, and put my feet in the foot pocket of my  mimmy bag used as a quilt.

        BTW, thanks for all your posts/pictures/experiments, etc. I had thought about the benefits of a double bottom hammock ever since I bought my HH and had to wrestle with a pad in it. Once I decided to make a Speer hammock, your posts and web page convinced me to make it a double bottom. I decided to go with the Speer method for attaching a bug net, which works great, but I am going to try your quarter weight design on a prototype one of these days. Also, on my home made Speer hammock, I use a "structural" ridge line to keep the right sag in the hammock, ease set up, and decrease the cocooning effect. Its simply a line tied around the loop of the hanging strap just above the knot. I pulled it tight, and tied it off to the other strap just above the knot on that end. My ridge line length is 8 feet, while my hammock body is 9 feet.

        Chet

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 30, 2003
          Hi Chet,

          Thanks for the kudos!

          The only mod I think I will make is to trim a little off the width of
          the ends. The very end folded over about 5 inches at each end. I
          will find out what width actually existed and then trim to that width.

          I am going to try to fold the pad, but if that does not work, I may
          try your idea of creating a hinge. Duct tape will work, though I am
          concerned about "creep" of the duct tape on the pad when it is warm.
          I am considering cutting a "dashed line" of knife cuts. to create a
          fold line.

          With my quilt, I am concerned about not having a pad down to my feet.

          I do as you, up to now, I have used the 27 inch wide pad as a pack
          frame barrel. It occurs to me that it might work to fold the excess
          11 inches over and let that expand into the extra room in the bottom
          of my G4 variant.

          Rick

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chet Clocksin"

        • robi dawson
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2 6:49 AM
            Hi everybody!

            The donated hammocks are on their first outing!!!!!

            Two of the three teachers chaperoning the 9th graders on a week long field trip to some forest in Hungary took hammocks! They want to give them a test run before they let the kids use them! Fair enough, although when the kids realize how much more comfortable the teachers were they may revolt!

            Thanks again!

            Now what does serge mean? as in hem the edges or serge them.... i would be happy to read up on sewing and learn more, so if you feel like pointing me to a sewing 101 site instead of explaining serging, that is fine with me.

            thanks

            robi

            <cclocksin@b...> wrote:
            > Rick, you will really like the extra width. I use a pad that is a
            20" x 72"
            > blue foam cut in half, and duct taped together, producing a pad that is
            > about 40 x 36. Used in my double bottom speer hammock, it works
            fantastic.
            > Provides complete protection around the shoulders and arms, and mine
            folded
            > in half and inserted into my G-4 pack barrel style, functions as my
            > packframe. The G-4 also has a pad/frame sleeve on the front of the
            pack, and
            > I carry a windshield reflector in there in case It gets really cold, in
            > which case I'll use both pads. I have not had the need yet for both
            pads. If
            > I know its going to get chilly out I'll sleep with long pants and wool
            > socks, and put my feet in the foot pocket of my  mimmy bag used as a
            quilt.

            > BTW, thanks for all your posts/pictures/experiments, etc. I had thought
            > about the benefits of a double bottom hammock ever since I bought my
            HH and
            > had to wrestle with a pad in it. Once I decided to make a Speer hammock,
            > your posts and web page convinced me to make it a double bottom. I
            decided
            > to go with the Speer method for attaching a bug net, which works
            great, but
            > I am going to try your quarter weight design on a prototype one of these
            > days. Also, on my home made Speer hammock, I use a "structural"
            ridge line
            > to keep the right sag in the hammock, ease set up, and decrease the
            > cocooning effect. Its simply a line tied around the loop of the hanging
            > strap just above the knot. I pulled it tight, and tied it off to the
            other
            > strap just above the knot on that end. My ridge line length is 8
            feet, while
            > my hammock body is 9 feet.
            >
            > Chet

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            72f2b.jpg
            73113.jpg

          • Risk
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2 12:51 PM
              Robi,

              The serged edge of material, is often the edge of the material as it
              comes from the factory... It is a fancy z shaped stitch which most
              home machines do not have. There are special serging machines that
              cost lots of money, and which are usually busy doing embroidery. They
              can serge an edge plus a lot more.

              Hope this helps.

              For my part, I find it just as useful with all our nylons and meltable
              fabrics to just cut the fabric with a red hot knife (heated with a
              propane torch every meter or two of cut) and skip all the serging
              directions.

              Rick

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi dawson <beanco@m...> wrote:
> [...]
              > > > had to wrestle with a pad in it. Once I decided to make a Speer
              hammock,
              > > > your posts and web page convinced me to make it a double bottom. I
              > >decided
              > > > to go with the Speer method for attaching a bug net, which works
              > >great, but
              > > > I am going to try your quarter weight design on a prototype one
              of these
              > > > days. Also, on my home made Speer hammock, I use a "structural"
              > >ridge line
              > > > to keep the right sag in the hammock, ease set up, and decrease the
              > > > cocooning effect. Its simply a line tied around the loop of the
              hanging
              > > > strap just above the knot. I pulled it tight, and tied it off to the
              > >other
              > > > strap just above the knot on that end. My ridge line length is 8

              Service.

              > >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              >
              ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3793308.5048975.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065843:HM/A=1712983/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1374-105951838331032>72f2b.jpg
              > >73113.jpg

            • David Anderson
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 2 3:11 PM
                At 07:51 PM 9/2/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                >For my part, I find it just as useful with all our nylons and meltable
                >fabrics to just cut the fabric with a red hot knife (heated with a
                >propane torch every meter or two of cut) and skip all the serging
                >directions.
                >
                >Rick

                Just get the hot knife tip for your soldering iron or solder gun. I bought
                mine after trying the bic lighter method on some 30D ripstop.

                --
                David Anderson
                Moderator