lightning

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2003
      I found a good description of lightning propagation and voltages that
      might be induced when a tree is struck.

      http://www.weighing-systems.com/TechnologyCentre/Lightning1.pdf

      my interpretation is when a tree is struck, flashover to an adjacent
      GROUNDED object is a danger. Since the hammock is high resistance to
      ground, it probably wouldn't be seen as a potential grounding path.
      On the other hand, the tree to which you are tied will probably end
      up with discharge damage in a line down the trunk which would
      probably vaporize your rope/strap where it is tied around the trunk.