Re: Hammock Camping Re: Noland & Forney creeks (GSMNP)

  • Steve McBride
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 26 4:05 AM
      Thanks for the input. I'm looking forward to the trip.

      Steve M
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 28 7:07 PM
        Coy,

        I am leaving a vehicle at Clingman's Dome. It is supposed to be fairly safe
        there. We've left vehicles at various sites on the Tennessee side around the
        Cade's Cove area in the past and never had a problem. As far as hanging a
        hammock (or setting up camp) around a shelter: I think the official rule is
        you must stay in a shelter unless you are a through hiker, in which case
        they allow camping outside when the shelter is full. You would not be able
        to hang a hammock inside a shelter due to crowding issues. I've not had much
        trouble with reservations in late October and early November, but my Dad is
        a volunteer with the park, so he may have an inside scoop.

        I have no information on the water shuttle, as I kayaked out there last
        Fall. I do know they draw the lake down in the Fall (it was quite low in
        mid-September) and that might affect the shuttle service (that and the fact
        that everything around Fontana Lake seemed to be shutting down by
        mid-September). If you're interested in pictures of the Fontana Lake area or
        some previous hiking in the Smoky's, I'll send my website address.

        When in October are you planning to be there?

        Steve M

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 28 7:59 PM
          Hi Steve

          The week of the 13th. Kids are out of school that week. Not sure
          exactly what day we will leave home and when we will start our hike.
          My hike buddie is coming over Sat to finalize plans. Most likely
          drive up monday and spend a night in Severvill or close by, then get
          an early start Tuesday. If your planning that week maybe we can
          arrange a meeting place at some point. I would appreciate the
          website address. You can send it to me or just post it here. We
          all love to see pics of the outdoors.

          Coy Boy

          -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Steve McBride <drsm@d...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 29 4:18 AM
            Coy,

            I'll be out there the 19-25, so will be a week later. We've got a long day
            hike planned on the Tennessee side (Little River Trail from Elkmont to site
            #30 and back), then the loop trip I previously posted. Some of our past
            pictures are available at http://www.skmcbride.com/outdooradvent.htm . Look
            at Dad/Son 2002 and GSMNP Vacation links.

            Steve M

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 30 6:36 AM
              Steve

              Oh Well, maybe next time. BTW I really enjoyed your site and
              pictures. I want to get up north some to experience some of that
              snow. To bad the lakes are froze when all the snow is on the ground.