Re: Hazel and Deep Creek (was Hammock Camping & Guns/off topic)

  • Steve McBride
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 25, 2003
      Carl,

      Are you pretty familiar with that general area of the Smokys? I'm taking my
      Dad and brother into an area just off Clingman's Dome in October and would
      appreciate any insight you have. I'll be introducing them to hammocks for
      the trip (I've been churning out modified Speer's hammocks like crazy
      lately). We're taking Noland Divide Trail to Noland Creek Trail, camping at
      site 63 or 64 the first night. Springhouse Branch Trail to Forney Creek
      Trail, camping at site 70 or 69 the second night, then returning to
      Clingmans Dome along Forney Creek Trail the third day. Anything I should be
      aware of there--how are the trees, big?

      Thanks,

      Steve M

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 25, 2003
        Steve,
        Lots of elevation loss & gain in your proposed hike.
        Real back country. You shouldn't see very many people
        except perhaps a few fishermen. You should find trees
        you're able to hang hammocks from since those
        watersheds were logged in the early 20th century.
        If you take two vehicles you won't have to walk
        approximately a mile or so of the Clingmans Dome road.
        Campsite # 64 would be a good choice for the first
        night & #70 (#69 if you feel up to it) for the second
        night.
        Bon Voyage!
        Carl I.
        --- Steve McBride <drsm@...> wrote:
        > Carl,
        >
        > Are you pretty familiar with that general area of
        > the Smokys? I'm taking my
        > Dad and brother into an area just off Clingman's
        > Dome in October and would
        > appreciate any insight you have. I'll be introducing
        > them to hammocks for
        > the trip (I've been churning out modified Speer's
        > hammocks like crazy
        > lately). We're taking Noland Divide Trail to Noland
        > Creek Trail, camping at
        > site 63 or 64 the first night. Springhouse Branch
        > Trail to Forney Creek
        > Trail, camping at site 70 or 69 the second night,
        > then returning to
        > Clingmans Dome along Forney Creek Trail the third
        > day. Anything I should be
        > aware of there--how are the trees, big?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Steve M

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 28, 2003
          Steve, Carol

          Questions for both

          I am planning a trip to SMNP in Oct. My hiking partner has the idea
          to continue from New Found Gap to Fontana Dam on the AT. Only last
          year we had trouble getting the right shelters reserved for our time
          frame and hike, called 1 month in advance which is the earliest you
          can reserve a shelter. I am thinking a loop hike similar to what
          Steve has outlined would be easier (lagisticly) plus I may have a
          few hammock hangers along and I'm not sure what the regs are about
          hanging a hammock at the shelters along the AT. So Steve, are you
          planning on leaving a vehicle at New Foud Gap and is it fairly safe
          to do so? Carol, This shuttle from the boat dock at deep creek. How
          often does it run and how much does it cost in case we decide to do
          a 1-way hike and ride back to the car? TIA

          Coy Boy
          PS I am also considering a hike in Savage Gulf as an alternative.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Carl Iobst <iobstce@y...>

        • Carl Iobst
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 28, 2003
            Coy,
            Sounds like a splendid outing especially if the
            leaves are in full color. Newfound gap or the
            Clingmans Dome (Forney Ridge) parking areas should be
            okay to leave vehicles since even in this age of
            cutbacks the Park Service does patrol the main roads
            regularly in search of touron automobile mishaps.
            The Fontana Boat dock can be reached through the main
            switch board @ Fontana Village (828-498-2211, ext.277)
            however, the charge per person is predicated on how
            many are in your party. example: When I went over to
            Hazel creek from the boat dock in early June there
            was eight in our party. The round-trip charge was
            $13.00 per person. Based on information I received a
            few hours ago, a hypothetical trip based on four
            people in the party, the round trip charge would be
            $60.00 per person & the one-way charge would be $45.00
            per person.
            This leaves you w/ several other options. Be the
            first call of the morning to the GSMNP Back country
            reservation office (865-436-1231; 8a-6p Eastern time)
            & realize that only through-hikers may camp outside of
            shelters (if they're filled) or get into the back
            country where Park Service patrol is almost
            non-existent & you can be a bit more flexible in using
            a LNT hammock.
            An excellent multi-day hike going/returning to
            Clingmans Dome would be Silers Bald shelter the first
            night, 2nd day- take the Welch ridge trail out to High
            Rocks (great views) & take the Bear Creek trail to #75
            for the 2nd night, 3rd day to the Forney creek trail &
            camp @ either #70, #69, or #68 the 3rd night,the 4th
            day hit the Forney Ridge trail to Clingmans
            backtracking a bit to Andrews Bald(great views) & out
            to the car.
            Cordially,
            Carl I.
            "Live life Real not virtual"
            ('Real' refers to Karl Pribrams Hollographic
            Paradigmn)

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • Coy
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 28, 2003
              Hi Carl

              Thanks for all the excellent advice. I just noticed I mispelled
              your name earlier. Sorry. I had the 1231 # but not the Fontana
              Switchboard #. Thanks. In looking at the route you proposed I see
              camp 75 is down by Fontana Lake on the Lake Shore trail. I assume I
              would then backtrack to the Forny Creek trail to # 70, #69 or # 68.
              That looks like a long hike on day 2. I'm thinking you might have
              meant #73 instead of #75. But this would mean a short hike on day
              3. Not that I would mind that. Might hike down to the lake at camp
              #74 for a swim or exploring before heading back towards the camps
              on Forny Creek trail.

              There will be 5 in the party for sure with the youngest at 13.
              However the 13 yr. old did real well last year on a 12 mile day.
              That was about his limit and I wasn't all that spry either.
              Possibly may have one or 2 others depending on scedualing etc. Yes
              the weather is about perfect this time of year. We actuall got cold
              on our rest stops last year as the highs on the first day was around
              40 F and the second around 50 F. Went down to about 28 F the first
              night. An early cold front was to blame. Still preferable to hot
              weather hiking IMHO.

              Coy Boy
              PS I wonder if my hammock hangers will mind the shelter that first
              night at the Silers Bald Shelter. I wont be using a hammock as I am
              testing a BD Mega Light for BGT. I too will be missing out on a
              test night at the Silers Bald Shelter. I looked at my map and there
              are no campsites close by either. Still it looks like a good
              hike.

              wrote:
              > Coy,
              > Sounds like a splendid outing especially if the
              > leaves are in full color. Newfound gap or the
              > Clingmans Dome (Forney Ridge) parking areas should be
              > okay to leave vehicles since even in this age of
              > cutbacks the Park Service does patrol the main roads
              > regularly in search of touron automobile mishaps.
              > The Fontana Boat dock can be reached through the main
              > switch board @ Fontana Village (828-498-2211, ext.277)
              > however, the charge per person is predicated on how
              > many are in your party. example: When I went over to
              > Hazel creek from the boat dock in early June there
              > was eight in our party. The round-trip charge was
              > $13.00 per person. Based on information I received a
              > few hours ago, a hypothetical trip based on four
              > people in the party, the round trip charge would be
              > $60.00 per person & the one-way charge would be $45.00
              > per person.
              > This leaves you w/ several other options. Be the
              > first call of the morning to the GSMNP Back country
              > reservation office (865-436-1231; 8a-6p Eastern time)
              > & realize that only through-hikers may camp outside of
              > shelters (if they're filled) or get into the back
              > country where Park Service patrol is almost
              > non-existent & you can be a bit more flexible in using
              > a LNT hammock.
              > An excellent multi-day hike going/returning to
              > Clingmans Dome would be Silers Bald shelter the first
              > night, 2nd day- take the Welch ridge trail out to High
              > Rocks (great views) & take the Bear Creek trail to #75
              > for the 2nd night, 3rd day to the Forney creek trail &
              > camp @ either #70, #69, or #68 the 3rd night,the 4th
              > day hit the Forney Ridge trail to Clingmans
              > backtracking a bit to Andrews Bald(great views) & out
              > to the car.
              > Cordially,
              > Carl I.
              > "Live life Real not virtual"
              > ('Real' refers to Karl Pribrams Hollographic
              > Paradigmn)
            • b c
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 2, 2003
                Took Forney Creek Trail from Clingman Dome Pking lot. Got down to Fontana and then back up by way of the two Noland trails. We both used hammocks and very glad we did. Rained every day and the horse camps are quite nasty, muddy, smelly, etc. We were kinda disappointed. The horse trails nasty too. Lots of good exercise tho. I will never hike a horse trail again! But sure got plenty of cardio exercise. Oh.. sure wish we brought our fly rods... cowboys were catching boo coo trout.   (disclaimer..nothing against horses, just learning what i should expect from my last trip)

                Do you Yahoo!?