Re:Hammock Camping & Guns/off topic

  • iobstce
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 23, 2003
      Folks:
      I've posted once before so I suppose technically you wouldn't
      consider me a "lurker." I've only used a hammock to camp since
      early June of this year (Bana Travel Hammock on Hazel creek in
      the Smokies)& just recently got and used for a three day trip on
      Deep creek in the GSMNP my H&H Explorer Ultralite A-sym (apoligies
      Mr. Speer, a most excellent sleep system). Dittos to what Shane
      Steinkamp so eloquently said in his last post regarding lurkers,
      etc. Personal defense is a valid issue in the back country the same
      as anywhere else. For those that do not want to consider the
      negative consequences of their personal defense non-actions than
      let Charles Darwin take his toll.
      Cordially to all,
      Carl I.

      "Live life Real not virtual"
      ('Real' refers to Karl Pribram's Hollographic Paradigmn)
    • Steve McBride
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 24, 2003
        Carl,

        Did you approach Hazel Creek and Deep Creek by water or land? My wife and I
        enjoyed some great kayaking there last November.

        Steve M
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 24, 2003
          Steve,
          For the Hazel creek outing in June we took the
          shuttle from the Fontana boat dock. For the Deep
          creek trip (last Sunday, Monday, & Tuesday) I started
          from the top (Hwy 441 2 miles below Newfound gap) &
          walked down to Deep creek camp ground where I had
          parked my vehicle. I saw one person that first morning
          (they were hiking up to the top) & two people just
          before lunch on Tuesday. Totally alone for two nights!
          No rain any of the three days which is suprising for
          the Smokies. The H&H Explorer Ultralite
          A-Sym was very comfortable despite using big trees to
          tie off to. Had to tie tighter w/ less dip to the
          hammock. For next outting will take less food & Aleve
          pain/anti-inflammatories.

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com