hammock under a hammock

  • simva2020 <simva2020@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 21, 2003
      Is this not what we are trying to achieve:

      http://home.attbi.com/~egowtkimoto/

      I know Sgt. Rock is tired of seeing this picture but you have to
      admit that many things are accomplished by the 'underquilt':
      1. thickness of quilt to suit tempterature ranges
      2. could have several 'quilts' that 'snap' together to give broader
      range of temp control-thin in summer, snap on another for fall,etc.
      3. the elastic that pulls back as you enter the HH and then snaps
      back toward the foot area is brilliant
      4. the underquilt pictured easily follows the human form while
      occupying the HH
      5. nestles the occupant and allows easy use of backcountry quilts
      and sleeping bags
      6. quilt goes well beyond the shoulder area when hammock is occupied
      giving excellent coverage with an 'above quilt'
      7. much variability

      well this is the tack I am taking
      Sim-
    • Marge Prothman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 21, 2003
        Well, now I really understand, for this old gal a picture is worth a
        thousand words.
        However, I still do not understand the following:

        3. the elastic that pulls back as you enter the HH and then snaps
        back toward the foot area is brilliant.

        I would love to see a couple of pictures of a person doing just this.

        Cheers, Marge

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 22, 2003
          Actually I like that picture. I'm just not sure if the weight to
          warmth ratio is worth it or not. I would love to try something like
          that for the Hennessy. I've been strategizing for a thru-hike plan
          and think that maybe a system that can be surrounding like the pa
          pod would be best, of couse the hennessy doesn't lend well to that
          unless you make a whole hammock sleeve that covers the net with a
          reflector and the bottom is quilt, yet still allows vapor to escape
          out the top. It sounds like a pipe dream. Maybe something like the
          Speer Hammock or the Crazy Creek would work better, but that is
          something that I will have to try. A problem for me is my windows of
          cold weather are unpridictable and not allways convienient for my
          schedule. I got luck on my last training exercise and had nights
          into the 20's and 30's but that is unusually cold for Louisiana.

          Until I get to move, I'll have to learn more cold weather stuff from
          y'all. I'm hoping in 2004 to go somewhere with more than 2 seasons.

          SGT Rock

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "simva2020 <simva2020@y...>"
          <simva2020@y...> wrote:
          > Is this not what we are trying to achieve:
          >
          > http://home.attbi.com/~egowtkimoto/
          >
          > I know Sgt. Rock is tired of seeing this picture but you have to
          > admit that many things are accomplished by the 'underquilt':
          > 1. thickness of quilt to suit tempterature ranges
          > 2. could have several 'quilts' that 'snap' together to give broader
          > range of temp control-thin in summer, snap on another for
          fall,etc.
          > 3. the elastic that pulls back as you enter the HH and then snaps
          > back toward the foot area is brilliant
          > 4. the underquilt pictured easily follows the human form while
          > occupying the HH
          > 5. nestles the occupant and allows easy use of backcountry quilts
          > and sleeping bags
          > 6. quilt goes well beyond the shoulder area when hammock is
          occupied
          > giving excellent coverage with an 'above quilt'
          > 7. much variability
          >
          > well this is the tack I am taking
          > Sim-
        • David Chinell
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 22, 2003
            Sarge:

            You're coming to the same conclusions I came to -- or maybe
            you're leading me to them. No matter.

            For a quick, light, complete system you can't beat the HH.
            But for serious flexibility, including extreme temperature
            ranges, you pretty much have to go with a "simple" hammock
            and supporting equipment.

            I started with a simple cloth hammock (the Nomad Traveler
            Tropical hammock) and it's still impossible to beat the top
            entry for convenience.

            The HH may be more accepting of diagonal positions, and thus
            offer a little more comfort, but you're either in it or out
            of it, and the transition is not trivial.

            I'll be following your experiments and reports with
            interest.

            Bear
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 22, 2003
              Message
              Ernest, I've hiked the AT twice with my hammock; the first time without the Pea Pod (used pads instead), and the second time with a Pea Pod.  Actually the Pea Pod was designed based on that first thru hike.  It allows better warmth/weight/bulk than anything else I've found.  As temps get colder, the Pea Pod simply becomes part of a component system employing top blankets (quilts, summer bags, or winter bags) and sleep pads as dictated by the temp.  The system is very efficient since it allows many possible combinations...Ed

              <simva2020@y...> wrote:
              > Is this not what we are trying to achieve:
              >
              > http://home.attbi.com/~egowtkimoto/
              >
              > I know Sgt. Rock is tired of seeing this picture but you have to
              > admit that many things are accomplished by the 'underquilt':
              > 1. thickness of quilt to suit tempterature ranges
              > 2. could have several 'quilts' that 'snap' together to give broader
              >    range of temp control-thin in summer, snap on another for
              fall,etc.
              > 3. the elastic that pulls back as you enter the HH and then snaps
              >    back toward the foot area is brilliant
              > 4. the underquilt pictured easily follows the human form while
              >    occupying the HH
              > 5. nestles the occupant and allows easy use of backcountry quilts
              >    and sleeping bags
              > 6. quilt goes well beyond the shoulder area when hammock is
              occupied
              >    giving excellent coverage with an 'above quilt'
              > 7. much variability
              >
              > well this is the tack I am taking
              > Sim-

            • Chet Clocksin
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 22, 2003
                Sim,
                Looks like you've already got a working design. Looks great to me.
                Chet

              • tcoug7 <tcoug7@aol.com>
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 23, 2003
                  Thanks Sim,

                  Don't know how I missed that one, but I did. And no pad to deal
                  with, excellent!
                  Tim

                  > simva2020 wrote:
                  >
                  > > Is this not what we are trying to achieve:
                  > >
                  > > http://home.attbi.com/~egowtkimoto/
                  > > <http://home.attbi.com/%7Eegowtkimoto/>
                  > >
                  > > I know Sgt. Rock is tired of seeing this picture but you have to
                  > > admit that many things are accomplished by the 'underquilt':
                  > > 1. thickness of quilt to suit tempterature ranges
                  > > 2. could have several 'quilts' that 'snap' together to give
                  broader
                  > > range of temp control-thin in summer, snap on another for
                  fall,etc.
                  > > 3. the elastic that pulls back as you enter the HH and then snaps
                  > > back toward the foot area is brilliant
                  > > 4. the underquilt pictured easily follows the human form while
                  > > occupying the HH
                  > > 5. nestles the occupant and allows easy use of backcountry quilts
                  > > and sleeping bags
                  > > 6. quilt goes well beyond the shoulder area when hammock is
                  occupied
                  > > giving excellent coverage with an 'above quilt'
                  > > 7. much variability
                  > >
                  > > well this is the tack I am taking
                  > > Sim-
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor