Re: First Hammocks

  • ciyd01
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 22 8:56 AM
      > Your hammock line held me just fine for about 2 hours when I took
      > that much needed nap. I am pushing 240 lbs right now.

      Don't forget that you can buy Spectra line and cord, by the foot, at
      most outdoors shops that sell climbing gear. They will cut it with a
      hot knife, sealing the ends, and will cut it to the length you
      specify. Thin spectra will hold a tremendous load and is incredibly
      light. The load rating should be either on the reel or the salesman
      should know it. The rope and cord you buy at Home Depot may or may
      not have the load rating on it.

      You can also buy webbing there, custom cut, and the per foot prices
      are cheaper than HD/Lowe's and you know what the load rating is.
      Makes great tree huggers.

      > think I will try the biggest fly fesible because I want to be able
      > to stay dry in about any conditions and have plenty of roome to
      cook
      > and move around if I need to make an extended campsite in rainy
      > weather. Could easily be rigged for a 2 man shelter if needed.

      If you're handy with a needle, you could make your own. I'm making a
      poncho/tarp/pack cover for fall and winter hiking. When worn, it
      will keep me and the pack dry. At night, I'll set it up as a cooking
      tarp for me and my hiking partner, then use it as a vestibule for the
      HH. Winter weather here is very rainy (western Washinton). I'm
      custom making it because the standard 5 x 8 tarp is too big - I'm 5'
      tall and the 8' length either drags on the ground or gets stepped on
      causing me to do a face plant on the trail. So, I'm making one
      that's closer to 5' x just-under-7'. It's a lot cheaper, too.

      ciyd