Re: Hammock Camping My rig - long

  • Jason S <chachie97@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 59 , Jan 10, 2003
      Do you have a picture to post? How far down does your netting go?
      Do you ever have a problem mesquitos biting your back? What is your
      total weight?
      -Thanks

      Jason S.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Jim Lynch <jplynch@c...>
      wrote:
> [...]
      > knot. I pull out a bight from the tree line and attach the hammock
      line
      > using a slipped
      > sheet bend.
      >
      > The ridge line goes up next, tied with a bowline at one end and a
      > tautline at the other. I
      > start with the ridgeline positioned almost as high as I can reach,
      but
      > use a single, big
      > loop around the trees so I can loosen the line and slide it up and
      down
      > the trunk as
      > weather dictates.
      >
      > Next the tarp goes up. I pitch the tarp on the diagonal unless
      there's a
      > really high wind.
      > Usually, I just throw the tarp over the ridge line while I rig it.
      > could leave the tarp lines
      > attached to the tarp, but I like practicing the knots. Moonbow
      made the
      > tarp for me. It's
      > square, with tie-outs at the corners and the mid-points of the
      sides.

      > At the ends of the tarp (the corners at the head and foot of the
      > hammock) I tie on a tarp
      > line using a bowline, making sure to leave some space between the
      knot
      > and the tie-out.
      > I loop the line around the tree, just above the ridgeline, bring
      the
      > line back through the
      > loop made by the bowline, and secure it onto the ridgeline using a
      > tautline hitch. I do this
      > so I can adjust the tension of the tarp from under the tarp. This
      means
      > I can slide the
      > ridgeline and tarp up and down without getting wet.
      >
      > At the sides of the tarp, I tie on a tarp line using a tautline
      hitch --
      > again, so I can adjust
      > the tension without getting wet, by reaching out from under the
      tarp.
      > The side lines run
      > out at right angles to the ridgeline, and I just throw a lark's
      head
      > knot around the tent peg.
      >
      > At this point I usually take a nap. If it's already cold, I may
      slide
      > the closed-cell foam pad
      > between the hammock layers. Otherwise, I'll leave the pad out
      until it
      > gets cold enough
      > to need it. I really prefer the feeling of the hammock without the
      pad.
      > The pad I use is a
      > cheap, blue, department store pad. I trimmed it to length and
      rounded
      > the ends. It
      > conforms to the shape of the hammock nicely.
      >
      > The last thing to go on is the mosquito net -- if it's bug season.
      > made this myself,
      > starting with a 12 ft length of 9-ft wide bridal tulle. Only
      Illusion
      > brand comes this wide,
      > and it's only available in white or ivory. But it takes Rit die
      nicely,
      > so I die it dark green.
      > No cutting or sewing is required. The net just drapes over the
      > ridgeline. I clip it at the
      > ends, once in the middle and once just below the hammock to close
      it off
      > and keep it
      > anchored. There's enough slack to just lift it up to get into or
      out of
      > the hammock.
      >
      > I use the poncho liner as a quilt. In cold weather -- I'm in
      Florida, so
      > 40 degrees F is
      > cold -- I'll switch from the poncho liner to a Speer Pea Pod bag.
      The
      > only drawback to
      > this is that the velcro on the bag will destroy the mosquito net,
      so
      > it's one or the other,
      > but not both. Fortunately, when it's cold enough to need the Pea
      Pod,

      Message 59 of 59 , Jan 14, 2003
        Message
        The Velcro is 1" wide; it does gather lint & debris, but this is not a serious problem.  I like the Velcro because it always works (unlike zippers) and I can grab the bug net edges anywhere and open it to get out, even in total darkness (handy when the call of nature calls in the middle of the night)....Ed
        How wide are the strips of Velcro on the sides.  I really like that idea.  Have you had any problems with leaves or dirt or any of natures other elements making the Velcro unable to stay shut?  No I haven't gotten the book I'm looking forward to reading it.  What is the farthest distance trees can be apart?  I hope I have been a bother.  I'll be ordering it on the 12th or 15th of Feb when I get back from the honeymoon. Get your thread ready. :)
        -Jason S