RE: Hammock Camping Lightest weight?

  • Shane Steinkamp
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2003
      > I'm contemplating some fastpacking trips in my local
      > mountains, however, and that 2.1 (or so) lbs. is starting
      > to look fat (sad, eh? what have we come to?), so I'm
      > wondering ... how light are folks getting their Speer
      > hammocks, and has anyone had "real world" experience with
      > the HH LR/AR models? I'd love to get sub-1 pound for
      > the whole kit and kaboodle, but I'm not keen on dropping
      > out on my tuckus when I roll over at 2am.

      My lightest rig, using a Bana, is 28 ounces. Really, at some point, cutting
      your weight is a diminishing return. I will admit at this point that I am
      not a member of the ultralight movement, nor do I subscribe to the
      philosophy that lighter is always better. Rest is second only to nutrition
      as the most important aspect of remaining physically and mentally fit on the
      trail. Many long-distance hikers quit the trail because they wear down, and
      then they wear out. For me, it is clear that sleeping well is worth an
      extra few ounces -- and it would be worth a few extra pounds.

      www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/whyhammock.htm

      Shane