Rain Kilt (was getting into a sleeping bag)

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2003
      "Thomas Peltier" <Thomas@G...> wrote:
      > Rick,
      > By the way how did the rain kilt work out?

      I had posted something on BPL group about a rain kilt...

      Well, it seems to work pretty well, but it has not rained yet, so I
      don't have much experience...

      This is how I made it...

      - get some 1.1 oz Silnylon
      - cut a rectangle from the end of a piece so it is about 60 x 26 in.
      - Fold over an inch hem and sew a quarter inch from the edge of the
      folded over edge to make a hem with a 3/4 inch tube
      - sew about 10 in of fuzzy (pile) velcro just below the hem on one
      side on the outside of the kilt.
      - sew about 8 in of hook velcro just below the hem on the other end,
      but on the inside of the kilt.
      - insert about 24 inches of 3/4 inch elastic into the tube, pulling
      the elastic in with a safety pin, earthworm style. Tack the end of
      the elastic at about the inside end of the hook velcro.
      - pull the elastic all the way through the tube until the pin can be
      removed.
      - gently let the end of the elastic pull back through the tube until
      the end is even with the inside end of the pile velcro. Pin it there
      through the silnylon with the safety pin and try the kilt on for size.
      - if the kilt feels right, then sew the elastic in place. If too
      tight release it some, if too loose, it will take a little work, but
      you need to pull the elastic back out some and tack it where the pile
      velcro begins.
      - it does not work to have elastic pulling where there is velcro.

      I guess this has a little to do with hammock camping, because it was
      my combination garlington insulator/poncho that I sacrificed to make
      the kilt.