Re: Hammock Trip to the White Mountains

  • colonelcorn76
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9, 2003
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <geoflyfisher@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hi gang,
      >
      > I took a bunch of pictures from the recent hike with EllieD and
      > EagleEye (wife and son). Two pictures from the end of the page is
      > nice picture of the lightweight quarterweight hammock set up with 5
      > foot wide tarp.
      >
      > The page is here:
      >
      > http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/whites/whites.htm

      Looks great, just like my trip last month. We did the
      Lincoln/Lafayette run as a warm-up to doing the Presidential range
      in two weeks. Don'cha just love them boulders?! That area east of
      Haystack/Lafayette is the largest expanse of unbroken wilderness (no
      roads, nothing...not even logging roads) left in the east.

      We went up Fallingwaters trail, across the ridge and then stopped to
      rest at the hut you stayed in. We kept going down though (Bridle
      Path) and encountered 3 hut workers bringing supplies up. As I
      understand it, they airlift the non-perishables in every year and
      then hire college kids to carry the perishables up everyday. They've
      got these straight wooden backboard things & carry 80lbs of food in
      cases on them. That's why it's $72 for meals & the bed.

      Jim
    • robi dawson
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2003
        hi y'all,

        hi y'all

        some friends stopped by the other afternoon to ask me to make a hammock for their daughter. She wants sg special in her new bedroom...

        While they were here we hung the three hammocks i have made so far, plus one that is yet to be completed. imagine a carport with 4 hammocks hanging, all nice bright colors... and kids climbing in and out to see which is hung best!

        a bunch of other friends showed up unannounced, making for 14 quests all sitting in my carport amongst hanging hammocks and pizza i made for dinner!

        hammocks are coo!!!

        ...understand it, they airlift the non-perishables in every year and
        then hire college kids to carry the perishables up everyday. They've
        got these straight wooden backboard things & carry 80lbs of food in
        cases on them. That's why it's $72 for meals & the bed.

        that's the exact same thing they do in slovakia in the high tatras, i assume actually that that is what they do in many places the world over...

        how does one get a job pottering  up to the huts??? anybody know?

        Robi
      • Risk
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2003
          Hi Robi,

          Here is something about the job of a hut crew member and a link to
          apply.

          http://www.outdoors.org/tools/employment-seasonal-jobs.pl?TODO=get_job&jobid=29

          or if that link is too long to work:

          http://tinyurl.com/jkt4

          Rick

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi dawson <beanco@m...> wrote:

          > >hi y'all,
          >

          > hi y'all
          >
          > some friends stopped by the other afternoon to ask me to make a
          hammock for
          > their daughter. She wants sg special in her new bedroom...
          >
          > While they were here we hung the three hammocks i have made so far,
          plus
          > one that is yet to be completed. imagine a carport with 4 hammocks
          hanging,
          > all nice bright colors... and kids climbing in and out to see which
          is hung
          > best!
          >
          > a bunch of other friends showed up unannounced, making for 14 quests
          all
          > sitting in my carport amongst hanging hammocks and pizza i made for
          dinner!

          > hammocks are coo!!!
          >

          > ...understand it, they airlift the non-perishables in every year and
          > >then hire college kids to carry the perishables up everyday. They've
          > >got these straight wooden backboard things & carry 80lbs of food in
          > >cases on them. That's why it's $72 for meals & the bed.
          >
          > that's the exact same thing they do in slovakia in the high tatras, i
          > assume actually that that is what they do in many places the world
          over...

          > how does one get a job pottering up to the huts??? anybody know?
          >

          > Robi
        • robi dawson
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 16, 2003
            Rick, Thanks!

            At 05:31 PM 8/10/03 +0000, you wrote:
            Hi Robi,

            Here is something about the job of a hut crew member and a link to
            apply.

            http://www.outdoors.org/tools/employment-seasonal-jobs.pl?TODO=get_job&jobid=29

            or if that link is too long to work:

            http://tinyurl.com/jkt4

            Rick

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi dawson <beanco@m...> wrote:

            > >hi y'all,
            >

            > hi y'all
            >
            > some friends stopped by the other afternoon to ask me to make a
            hammock for
            > their daughter. She wants sg special in her new bedroom...
            >
            > While they were here we hung the three hammocks i have made so far,
            plus
            > one that is yet to be completed. imagine a carport with 4 hammocks
            hanging,
            > all nice bright colors... and kids climbing in and out to see which
            is hung
            > best!
            >
            > a bunch of other friends showed up unannounced, making for 14 quests
            all
            > sitting in my carport amongst hanging hammocks and pizza i made for
            dinner!

            > hammocks are coo!!!
            >

            > ...understand it, they airlift the non-perishables in every year and
            > >then hire college kids to carry the perishables up everyday. They've
            > >got these straight wooden backboard things & carry 80lbs of food in
            > >cases on them. That's why it's $72 for meals & the bed.
            >
            > that's the exact same thing they do in slovakia in the high tatras, i
            > assume actually that that is what they do in many places the world
            over...

            > how does one get a job pottering  up to the huts??? anybody know?
            >

            > Robi

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            24a441.jpg
            24a569.jpg