Re: Hammock Camping 2 person hammock

  • karens62@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2003
      Is there a two person hammock system out there? Do any of you have or use a two person hammock set up?>>

      Tom,

      As far as I am aware, there aren't any two person light weight backpacking type hammocks out there yet but design ideas have been tossed around. The issue becomes how to balance the strength integrity with lightweight. Also, in the Speer hammock and other similiar designs, sleeping longitudinally in the hammock might be fun for a nap, but I don't think it would be comfy together for the whole night.

      There is a work-around though. When Ed and I go out in the woods, we find three trees to hang our hammocks on. Ideally the two at the foot end are approximately 2 feet apart, then we tie the head of the hammock together. The only problem we sometimes encounter is getting the hammocks to be at the right height once we are in them, but thats fixed with a little tweaking. If the weather isn't expected to be realy stormy, and the foot trees are close enough, we can get away with one tarp. If we think we'll need more area, both tarps are used and that gives us a TON of sheltered space.

      This allows us to be as close as if we were in a tent or shelter with sleeping bags, but a heck of a lot more comfortable. There are some photos on the hammock camping website under "Ed's Doubles". I think Rick had a photo posted on his website as well, but in his particular photo, they used foot trees that were further apart.

      Karen
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8, 2003
        Karen has it just about nailed down.

        I have used a double bottom hammock made of 1.9 oz ripstop for the two
        of us for a few hours. It takes a lot of being close for this to
        work... mostly it works by having one person's hips over the other's.
        I have not tried this all night, and don't think I want to try.

        Diane and I have used the method of tying with the foot trees as far
        apart as 4 feet and as close as 2 feet. We have even tied up on the
        opposite side of a pair trees about 12 inches in diameter (instead of
        a trio of trees), though we did not try to sleep all night that way.

        It is nice to whisper nice things to one another or to take a hand and
        stroke Diane's hair. The rest will be left to your imagining.

        Risk